I'm in central NC (Winston-Salem). When should I reseed my fescue lawn? Thanks,

Shelley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to reseed lawn?

right now.

o

agreed. fall is the best for fescue lawns. it helps them build up a strong root system during the long winter so they are more likely to withstand drought/heat in the summers. The same reason many plant trees then too :)

o

The rule (per NCSU Ag) is Valentine's Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.

o

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I knew fall was the best time. I was asking for a specific date. Brenda, could those be the recommended dates for fertilizing? I can't imagine over-seeding on Thanksgiving.

It's still not done due to work and family demands. A few of my neighbors have seeded in the last week. Yesterday a local nursery owner told me any time in September is OK. I'm hoping that it dries off enough that I can mow again later this morning, I can get the seed down, then it rains again tonight. I hope it's not so late that I'm wasting my time. Any one want to reassure me that this plan is OK?

Shelley

o

Sorry, Shelly, of course you're right - fertilizer. Around now is best for seeding. As late as you can get by with baby grass emerging before major leaf fall. For me, that's mid-October.

o

Hey Shelley, I'm in Greensboro and seeded a new lawn last fall. It was the last weekend in Sept I think, and it worked great. I did have to blow the leaves off it mid-Oct. on, but I waited until the leaves were dry and blew them with low power. Becky

o

Hi,

i'm new to yard work(first home. i'm in gastonia close to charlotte...and i was wondering if i should spread weed killer first and then seed?...any particular brands i whould look for

also should spray stuff on my plants and trees b/c i saw that bugs had eaten through some of the leaves? or should i just wait until after winter?

and one more thing i'm also going to aerate...is there anything i need to be careful about?

i know htese are a lot of questions but i know almost nothing about lawncare so any help will be useful.

thank you.

o

Here is a link to an NC page that might be helpful for mgs83.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn care

o

thanks esh ga...there's a lot of info on that site...will def help a lot...

couldn't find any info on the best time to use weed killer...i have grass so need something that doesn't kill the existing grass.

o

I would call someone local, a university extension service if you have it. You definitely don't want to use a weed killer that might have harmful effects on baby grass once it germinates. Sometimes even reading the back of the bag of the weed killer might indicate some warnings about using it on new grass (and while yours is not new, the new grass may be harmed) or using it within a certain amount of time before/after reseeding. Of course you don't want to use anything with a pre-emergent component in it.

Good luck!

o

Brenda and Becky, thanks for the reassurance that I'm not too late. I did get the grass seed down last Sunday, along with lime and organic fertilizers. Now keeping it moist will be a challenge, but it's raining today and that makes me very happy.

o

You DO NOT WANT TO USE WEED KILLER ANYWHERE NEAR THE TIME YOU SOW GRASS SEED. The killer doesn't know the difference in grass seed that you want to grow and the weed seeds. There are two types of weeds. 1. Grassy weed (like crab grass) and 2. broadleaf weeds. The best time for killing the crabgrass is EARLY spring. Get the scots fertilizer with Halts in it. You must put it down before the weeds apear. The Halts keeps the crabgrass from germinating. Once you see the new crabgrass growing in your yard, it's too late. I usually put in down in late Feb or March. Now (Fall) is a good time to kill the broadleaf weeds. BUT not if you are going to plant grass seed. You have to wait at least 4-6 weeks between the two. (check the bag of the weed killer to be sure of the time.) If you need to seed for grass then wait till Spring for killing the broad leaf weeds also. Fall has such an advantage for grass seed, giving it time to get establisted all winter gives it a much fuller and stronger rootsystem. I'd forgo the weeds for now. They will still be there in the Spring. Scotts makes several fertilizers for different times of the year with different purposes in mind. There is a great one for "Winterizing" but again you don't want to put it down too close to seeding or it will kill (burn)the new grass seed. There is a fertilizer made just for new grass. It's called "starter fertilizer" and doesn't burn the grass seed. As for when to plant grass. There is no real rule. Just remember the seeds need to get established before cold weather. People have ask - why to Home Depot and places still have seed in Dec or Jan.?? Well, they want to sell it and if they still have it in stock they aren't going to toss it. If you did plant seed in cold weather, on your yard the seed get wet and will freeze, pop open, and therfore are not any good. However, the other side of that is that if kept dry and inside a garage, you can keep unused seed from Fall to Sring or vise versa. Not the best thing to do but I have kept it if I have more that I can use in a season. In the spring, the same it true. You need to plant in time for the grass to get establisted before the real hot weather. The sun baked it it like a toaster and pops the seeds open therefore, you don't get your moneys worth. Good luck.

o

According to NCSU and coop ext research on fescue in this area, % success as a function of seeding month:
Sep-90%
Oct-80%
Nov 70%
Dec-60%
Jan-60%
Feb-65%
Mar-70%
Apr-50%
May-40%
Jun-20%
There are cool season weeds and warm season weeds. Are you worried about warm season weeds, like crabgrass that you still see now (they'll be gone soon) or are you worried in advance about cool season weeds that have yet to emerge? It is possible to use a pre-emergent and then seed, if you get the timing right. Read the labels carefully and use the right product. Personally, since most of the peskiest cool season weeds are annuals, I'd just let 'em grow this year and take care of them next winter.

o

nc gardener and brenda thanks for all the info and help!!
who knows maybe this time i will actually get a good looking yard.

i went to the nc extention website and spoke the person at our county office and i got a list of brands of seeds to use, but i couldn't find any of them at home depot or lowes.
the brands for tall fescue are bingo, biltmore, finesse II, picasso, and plantation. i couldn't find any of these at those to stores.

does anyone know a good place around gastonia/charlotte or online where i can buy those brands? i also have to look for kent. bluegrass and fine fescue.

is there a place around here where i can buy nematodes?

o

Since you ask about nematodes ... I've been reading about the benefits of aerated compost tea. Here's an interesting statement:

Compost tea is used to add bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes to the soil or onto foliage. Compost tea also contains soluble nutrients that feed the organisms in the tea and may feed plants. Use compost tea any time organisms in the soil or on the plants are lower than optimum levels. Chemical-based pesticides, fumigants, herbicides and some synthetic fertilizers kill the beneficial microorganisms that encourage plant growth, either in the soil or on foliage. Compost teas improve the life in the soil and on plant surfaces and help plants take-up the nutrients they require, and suppress diseases at the same time as building soil structure, and reduce erosion and loss of nutrients into drinking water.

This is from www.soilfoodweb.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here