Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Charleston.. need some suggestions...

Posted by nikkie_in_toronto (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 9:07

I have recently purchased a home in Charleston and am certainly enjoying a totally new palette of plants from what I have been used to gardening in Toronto Ontario and Cleveland Ohio. I have a small courtyard garden in Charleston, so I want to pack in whatever I can in my somewhat small space. I am working with a great landscaper though he seems that he wants to use some plant material that I personally find a bit boring and overused in the area. It is a part shade garden that gets mostly sun in the morning and some late afternoon sun. Its not a deep shade, rather an open, light shade. He wants to use a lot of podocarpus and pittosporum. Does anyone have any other suggestion? I like the callicarpa, camellias, gardenias, and various boxwoods, but I just would like some more ideas on a part/light shade plant. Thank you for your help! Nikkie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Charleston.. need some suggestions...

Nikkie,
You are listing trees (camellias are trees) and shrubs and then you say that the space is small.
So, for plants(not shrubs or trees), daphne is nice, quite fragrant. Jasmine vines in particular Madison carolina jasmine, blooms all of April and May and sometimes into June, just cut it down good after it blooms.
They raised Charleston's zone number to 9, so if you are looking online or in a local nursery, remember zone 9.
You want something different, so mabey a trip to a local nursery in the spring will give you more of a selection.
Also, to put in the front of a bed, try the new "Snow in summer" jasmine. I have it and planted it in my front bed and it grows pretty good. It has 3 color leaves and is extremely attractive planted next to a dark green plant.
It is also evergreen, like the Madison jasmine.
Look up online and see pics, it is gorgeous.
Also, cannas come back here, so if you enjoy the tropical look of cannas, plant them and mulch well, they come back bigger the next year.
Welcome to South Carolina!

o

Check out Hyams nursery on Folly Rd. I am in Upstate SC but have made day trips to Hyams to find different and unusual plants.

o

nikki, the neat thing about a courtyard is you can get real creative with vertical gardening if you have a wall or some kind of fence you can attach interesting growing pots on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here