Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtrx

readying plants for swap

dirtrx
15 years ago

I have a couple of plants that I want to get ready for the swap but I'm am not sure if I should cut them back. One is an Agastache and about 2 feet tall but is laying over because I didn't realise I might need to prune them earlier this summer. I would like to go ahead and pot them up but can I cut them back so that they don't flop everywhere or will this literally kill their chance at transplanting? Thanks, Dirtrx

Comments (4)

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Agastache is tough enough that it should survive just fine. Since you don't say what the other one is, I've no opinion....

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

Do prune them back, since this will help them conserve energy during the transplant. I routinely have seen Roger Swaim do this on the Victory Garden over the years. He also waters all transplants with a solution of super phosphate, which is a root growth stimulant that helps prevent transplant shock. Then put the pot into light shade to prevent further stress from sun. I recently dug up an Apple Mint and potted it up. It appeared absolutely DEAD within a few days, but I ignored that and continued to water it. It has resprouted beautifully within a month, and growing strong. Potting up for the swap in advance is the thing to do, so that plants dont appear dead. I've got things potted up too, but hate to part with so many nice pots. So the day of the swap, I may take some of them out of their pots and into wet newspaper inside plastic bags.

• squirrelspur
    15 years ago

I was hoping that people would bring things in pots to the High Pt. swap - so that if people couldn't plant right away due to the drought, the plants would be ok.

How do others feel about this - I don't want to put things in pots and then not get pots in exchange.

• dirtrx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't say that it really matters much to me. I have lots of black pots from my previous plant purchases and swaps so unless I am really running short on time I usually have my in the black nursery pots. Most of the received plants that aren't in pots do get moved up on the priority planting list. I usually set aside the Sunday after the swap for planting. DH and I came to this agreement because there are a couple of weekends which he camps or hunts so we take turns being off for the whole weekend and not having kid duty.

But if you really need things in pots just request that your parking lot swaps be in pots. It doesn't bother me personally if someone says "I need to swap in pots or no deal". Just put a disclaimer at the top of your trade list.

Also there are usually people who have pots which they will bring if they know you need extra pots. If I were coming to the High Point put I could bring you several although I might not be able to get them washed out in time.

What I am bad about is plant markers. Every year I plan on having everything organized and ready to go but I am still potting up things I didn't realize I had to divide. I'll bring the markers and pens and while John is talking about the plants I swear I am still standing there writing up the tag. Dirtrx