Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaaaaaa_gw

Nurseries in and around Cary NC?

aaaaaaaa
9 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone please suggest any nurseries in and around Cary NC area? I am looking for heirloom/organic seeds (both vegetables and flowers), herbs mostly. I am new to Carolinas.

Thanks in advance.
Anna

Comments (10)

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

If you're just buying seeds, I'd recommend purchasing online. You'll find a better selection and should be able to get exactly what you want.

For what it's worth, these are my favorite nurseries in the Raleigh/Cary area. Logans and Garden Supply can be a bit pricey if you're buying plants. Campbells is pretty affordable, but I don't think they sell seeds.

Campbells Road Nursery
    2500 Campbell Road
    Raleigh, NC

Garden Supply Company
    1421 Old Apex Road
    Cary, NC

Logan Trading Company
    707 Semart Drive
    Raleigh, NC

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Logan's may be a downtown, inner-city business but they have always carried the complete line of supplies for food gardening (even before it was fashionable). Their seed racks change every season but I have seen Baker's Creek, Seeds of Change, Southern Exposure and Wyatt Quarles among their offerings. They also have all the normal name brands. The packs I've purchased were the same price as the online catalogs but you save on shipping. They most often do not have the complete catalog, mostly the tried and true stuff.

If you don't know where they are, their complete name is Logans Trading Company and they are on the north side of downtown Raleigh next to William Peace College. They are tucked in behind the business' along Peace Street so you can't see them from the road.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ferroplasm and trianglejohn��"visited Campbells and Garden supply Co. As you mentioned campbells do not sell seeds, but love their herbs and picked up few; bought plenty of seeds at Garden Supply. Had visited Logan in my previous visit to NC, but will visit again this week, I have fallen in love with that place.
    Also visited Grand Asia Market and picked up few oriental seed packets too.
    Friend of mine mentioned âÂÂburkebrothersâÂÂ, is it worth visiting for seeds?
    Thanks again
    Anna

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Burke Brothers is like an old time-y hardware store. They carry everything - with shelves close together and floor to ceiling. I've never gone there for seeds but they do sell gardening supplies and currently have lots of fall crop seedlings out front. It reminds me of a similar store in my hometown that had the tag line "If we ain't got it - you don't need it!".

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

Burke brothers sells typical seed packets, but the real reason to go is for their bulk seed. They purchase from Wyatt Quarles and offer quite a few vegetable seeds by the ounce. It ends up being so much cheaper than buying packets. Things like carrot, radish, peas, etc. They have a bunch, I just can't remember what they all are. Also, they have very inexpensive onion sets and garlic. I think the garlic was $0.49 per head (not single bulb) and onion sets were $1.69 a quart.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Visited all these places today. Is there any other garden centers that you would recommend in this area? By the way picked up plenty of seeds at Logan and onion sets at Burke brothers, love it. Thanks again.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

There are plenty of classy garden centers but few offer anything towards growing food. I do like to go to the State Farmers Market on Lake Wheeler Road on the weekends - there a plenty of vendors there and some focus on food gardening. The market is open all week but there are more vendors on the weekends.

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention Fifth Season Gardening. They're located at the intersection of Hillsborough Street and Western Boulevard, not at all far from Burke Brothers. Their primary focus is indoor gardening and hydroponics, but they offer a decent selection of high quality potting mixes (including 4 cu ft bags of perlite and vermiculite), fertilizers, pest control products, potting containers, etc. They sell a small selection of seeds, I think from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. You can also find a small selection of cover crop seeds sold by the pound (buckwheat, clover, radish, winter pea, etc). Their staff are quite knowledgeable, to boot, and always helpful and friendly.

• aaaaaaaa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will visit both farmers market and Fifth Season Gardening, this weekend. Thanks for that.
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post this next query? Anyway, it is gardening related! I am big time seeds collector. I am looking for a suitable storage to store these seeds. Right now, they are in a plastic tote, individually packed.
    Is there any place in and around triangle area where I may find anything, like, wicker baskets or any other ideas? With affordable price range.
    Appreciate your help.
    Anna

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I store my seeds in the refrigerator in a plastic bin that fits and fills up one entire crisper/drawer.