Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Oak Leaf Hydrangea

token28001
15 years ago

I'm assuming I can dig this plant out and move it during the winter when it goes dormant. How deep are the roots and do you think it will survive? It's old. When I moved in, it was over 7' tall in very poor soil and getting no sun. This spring, a falling tree broke off all the branches. It's about 2' tall now.

Comments (3)

• irislover_nc
    15 years ago

I have never moved one that was as old or big as yours so I can't attest to its ability to survive the move. I will tell you that I have successfully rooted mine by taking a newish shoot, stripping all but the top leaves, and plunking it in potting soil. I know it is not the same as having a mature, 7' specimen but it might be a back-up plan to do before it goes dormant and you dig it up over the winter.

Hope someone can help with the transplanting part.

Meredith

• blueangel
    15 years ago

It can be moved in the fall
    start about 3 feet from the plant
    dig away from the root system to form
    a root ball. Dig down about 3 feet maybe more
    and dig under the roots ,lift the plant with
    as much soil as possible and place on burlap
    you should have a good size root ball and soil.
    Prepare the new site for the plant and add some
    compost to the hole plant at the same depth as it was.
    water well and then water at least twice a week if no
    rain.It may not bloom for you till the following year.
    Good Luck
    Blueangel

• token28001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I'm setting up my propagation chambers now. I know it's too soon and the first frost is still a ways away, but I want to root as many things as I can. I thought this was a fig at first, but when I bought the house, it was blooming. It's no fig. :)

I'll give it a shot transplanting it and taking cuttings. Thanks for the advice!

Tom

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio