Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmons

Posted by roberta_nc Zone 7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 11:44

If you have a persimmon tree (or if you don't have a tree but you know), when do the persimmons get ripe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmons

Which type do you have? My asian persimmon is just beginning to color a bit- but mine tends to be a week or 2 behind my neighbor's, which isn't the same variety but is also an asian. The native ones can't be used until after they get soft- usually takes a frost to do that. They are astringent until then. Even some of the asian ones have the same trait (but mine doesn't- i can eat it while crunchy). I should be able to pick mine to eat in 3 or 4 weeks.

o

I don't have one but I've been offered the fruit from someone else's. I have no idea what variety it is but it looks like the old fashioned native (?) kind that I remember from my childhood. I looked at the tree yesterday and the fruit is turning and a few had ripened enough to drop off. I had heard the frost requirement, too, but these looked like they might be ready in a couple of weeks (although I really don't know how long they can stay on the tree with color before they totally ripen).

o

roberta, They will fall off the tree when they are ripe. Some folks put plastic on the ground beneath the tree so they fall on it and there is less washing. make sure they are very soft because some times hard ones fall also, and they are not to be used.

Some will split open and look dark, they can be used! Be careful and look out for the yellow jackets that may be on them.

o

Last week, I ate one off a wild tree in RTP. It was delicious.

I don't think the frost requirement is really true. Perhaps up north the fruit ripens round about the same time as the first frost, but the wild trees I see around here are almost bare by the time we get our first frost.

Just make sure it is soft.

o

Roberta, I've been freezing pulp since the 18th and am about an hour southwest of you.

o

Thanks for all the tips, especially the one about watching out for bees!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here