Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coarse vermiculite?

Posted by docarwen durrrm nc (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 11:44

Can anybody suggest a vendor for coarse vermiculite in the Triangle area? I'd really like to find something in Durham, but so far all I've found is the little 8-qt (for $4!!) bags at Lowe's. That gets pricey when one sums up to 3 cubic ft!

Some of the other forums have had comments about loose fill attic insulation, but I can't even find that -- Lowe's, Home Depot nope...

TIA :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coarse vermiculite?

Logan's Trading Post. Go figure.

:)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0313401022170.html

If only they were in Durham... or I had thought of this before I drove all the way down there last week!!

o

Odd, I just read an ad for a lawsuit against vermiculite producers who promoted it as loose fill attic insulation because of its asbestos contents. Last page of the current National Geographic magazine (appropriate to GW with a sprouting plant on the cover).
WR Grace Bankrupcy for selling the stuff ..some of which contains naturally occuring asbestos..

Just a thought that using vermiculite to loosen soil or mix into potting soils..might think of using a mask when working with vermiculite.

o

Heh. There is a *lot* of discussion about the asbestos stuff on the forums that use it more (square foot gardening, seed sprouting i think). Apparently it's a lot of bad press stemming from one bad company about 10 years back, and now any vermiculite mine/vein is regularly tested for asbestos.

Having said that... Stone Brothers in Durham has 4 cf bags of coarse vermiculite -- and a lot of other miscellaneous garden stuff :) -- and I am seriously considering wearing a mask when I mix the vermiculite in tomorrow morning. Better safe than sorry, and I hear it's dusty until it's been wetted properly.

o

A 3 to 1 ratio of perlite to vermiculite mix is an excellent soil less growing medium for top drip Dutch bucket systems. See the following:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Bucket Hydroponic Tomatoes - Home Made System

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here