Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall vegetables

Posted by zoesdad nc7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 6, 08 at 11:56

I am in the Raleigh/Wake Forest area of NC and am interested in planting a fall garden. I know that turnips, cabbage, collards, spinach and lettuce are some of the good crops, but is it too late to get started? Where is a good source to buy seedlings in the Raleigh area?
Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall vegetables

there was a similar thread in the last few weeks. try a search...
and no it's not too late at all.

o
RE: fall vegetables2

now that i look, right now it's only 2 down from this thread. 'advice on a fall garden'.

o

Thanks,Tame. I did find that, but still don't know the best place to find transplants. Don't really want to go to a big box store, and don't have the patients for seed. I thought I would try the farmers market, but thats a haul from Wake Forest...

o

Well, I'd say either Logan's (downtown) or the farmer's market, so that's no help. Maybe it's worth a foray into raleigh for you. You need to get some folks from wake forest to weigh in- nancedar? I know homewood is more up your way, but have no clue whether they'll have veggie transplants. There's atlantic ave nursery, too. There used to be a nursery up 401 n, about 5 miles past the split, but it's been a while since i drove up that way. The big boxes actually do have decent veggies for fall, so don't count them completely out of the picture. Lots of stuff is easy enough to start from seed in the ground and it's far from too late. Good luck! tammy

o

I usually wait until its reliably cool (nothing over 80 degrees) before I buy stuff. I only grow a few of each so I normally buy transplants instead of seeds but sometimes I go crazy and sow a ton. I just shop around and buy whatever I find that looks healthy. By the end of the month everyone should have all their winter babies out and ready to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here