Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

My visit to Woodlanders Nursery today

nandina
16 years ago

Word reached me that Woodlanders (Aiken, SC) would be open to the public this week, Sept. 8-15, 2007 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Usually it is only open for a few days in the spring. Also, there was a hot air balloon festival taking place there this weekend. So DH and I dragged out early this morning, found the polo grounds where balloons were being inflated and watched them rise en mass into a beautiful blue, windless sky. What a treat! Took lots of pictures. Stopped at a place for breakfast suggested by one of the onlookers and then headed for the nursery. It has been awhile since we have visited there and were surprised to find that two long time employees of Woodlanders, George Mitchell and Debra Flurett, have just purchased it. They have many plans to restore the grounds of this rare plant nursery to its former glory. Keep an eye on their web site as they make much needed improvements.

Hopefully some of you can make the trip this coming week. They are loaded with choice plants. There are some bargains such as a section of potted trees at $3.00 apiece. But, don't expect a 'fire sale', just quality, hard to find plants at reasonable prices.

George is a master propagator and told me he will propagate custom orders for people.

It appears that this much respected nursery is in good hands. Worth the trip. www.woodlanders.net.

Comments (5)