Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry soil - fall garden

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 15:00

We were really looking forward to planting a fall garden. I have the following seeds:

collards

lettuce

carrots

pak choi

cilantro

spinach

I am in central NC. Like most of the area, we had excessive rains in the early summer. But we are dry now, no rain in at least 6 weeks. We turned the garden over about two weeks ago and it is bone dry. I don't think I can plant seeds in this. Its getting so late now that I don't even know if its worth dragging the hose all the way up to the garden (which is 250 feet from the house) to try and wet it down enough to plant. What would you do?

Of the seeds I listed, what is not too late to plant here in central NC?

On the other hand, we are enjoying a bountiful apple harvest. Our first one since starting our orchard 5 years ago.

Many thanks for advice!

Thomis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry soil - fall garden

I use the Watt Quarles seed co planting guide. I had thought that the last time for seeds was a month ago, but I see that some of these fall crops could still just barely go in. Take a look. It is very useful for central NC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Guide

o
RE: dry soil - fall garden

that's cool, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here