Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_8nc

Hican Trees

anna_8nc
18 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with growing hicans, (a cross between hickory and pecan trees) and does anyone know a place to buy them? I'm thinking of trying one in my yard, but they don't seem to be readily available.

Thanks, Anna

Comments (13)

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

It's first problem is that name, although Pecory is a little worse. Sorry, I have no idea...I'm just playing.

• pfmastin
    18 years ago

Anna,
    Do a google search for Carya illinoensis X Carya laciniosa and you can find some information on this cross. It seems Pecan will hybridize with a number of other Carya species members. Very interesting!

Pam

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Anna,
    I have several grafted hican selections growing in my orchard. They're fast growers, but have the reputation of being 'shy' bearers. No nuts on any of my young trees, yet.
    'James' hican, a pecanXshellbark hybrid, is probably the most widely-available selection, but I've gotten good reviews on 'McAllister' from some of my friends who have it growing in IN.
    'Burton', a pecanXshagbark selection is another good one.

Probably the best selection of grafted hicans is available at Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Anna,
    Here's a little dissertation on the McAllister hican from my friend Jerry in Terre Haute, IN(31 Oct 03):
    "I've got a McAllister hican that was purchased in 1983 from Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery. At the time someone said to me that I'm too far north and the nuts will not mature here in central Indiana, but many do.
    It is a shy bearer as compared to most pecans, but this year it set a good crop and does have a light crop of nuts nearly every year. The nuts are huge and very thin shelled with very good flavor.
    Now to comment on what was told to me regarding not maturing. It is my observation that most fully mature in this location and did again this year even though spring was a week late and our summer cool with plenty of moisture. I believe there may a misunderstanding of "mature," or at least my definition is different from his.
    When a pecan doesn't mature the kernel is black and can even be watery and the shell doesn't open to cleanly drop the nut. My MacCallister does properly drop some nuts. An older pecan grower once showed me that the pecan nut is mature and can be picked from the tree if the husk cracks open when squeezed on the sides. The nut can then be picked ahead of squirrels, crows and Bluejays. Remove the husk and cure the nut. My MacCallister drops many of the nuts, husk and all, but the husk easily comes off the nut signifying the nut is mature, except if husk maggots are involved. Now the characteristic that may be mistaken for not maturing is, not all of the kernels are completely filled within the nut. Some nuts have a small kernel that only fills half the shell, but even those kernels are mature and full flavored. Everyone that sees the nuts is impressed with the size and everyone agrees that flavor is very good. I believe the size difference of the kernels is simply genetic, not a lack of maturity.
    My McA. has now dropped all its leaves while my pecan trees are nearly fully leafed which is the situation nearly every year.
    If anyone wants to grow hicans, I'd recommend having a MacCallister. Oh yes, some seeds will germinate and produce a seedling."

I've got McAllister photos I can email you, but I don't know how to upload them to the Forums. If you want to see 'em, email me direct.

• anna_8nc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Lucky.
    You are the first person I have communicated with who has actually grown the trees. All nut trees require serveral years to reach bearing age, I wonder if hicans require more than others. Nolins is sold out of hicans for the next year, but they do look like a good source.
    Anna

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

First hican I planted was a grafted Bixby, from NRNTN, went in the ground in '95 - no nuts yet. Started grafting my own nut trees in '98, and one of the first pecans(Major) that I grafted that year made its first nut(only 1) in '03, has a small crop this year.
    The other hicans in my collection(Burton, Palmer, Vernon, Caha, Jim Wilson, McAllister, James) are still only 2-4 years old.

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Linked below is a McAllister photo from the USDA pecan website - you can see that the kernel didn't fill completely in that sample - but the portion that did fill would be tasty & flavorful.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:585888}}

• anna_8nc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again Lucky. It sounds as if you have quite an orchard.
    Anna

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

I just got a Lecont Hican from Oikos. They decided to give it to me for free? Its a mix btw Pecans and Carya Aquatica.

• quercus_macrocarpa
    16 years ago

Oikos Tree Crops in Michigan carries Lecont Hicans.

• anna_8nc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the additional information. I have not yet gotten any of these trees, and I am still thinking of how to use the limited space still available in my yard. Perhaps something that bears more regularly and heavily would be a better choice. I still read this forum, but others who post here have so much more information that I have nothing to say.
    Anna

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

Mine has just started to bud. Unfortunately the terminal bud was nipped off by some creature this winter...so it is starting over...basically. Crossing my fingers!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor