1/2 yellow onion, sliced

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 bunches kale, rinsed, tough midrib removed, roughly chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 Tbsp lemon juice, plus more to taste

Salt, about 1/4 tsp

1-2 T soy sauce, to taste

Method

1 In a large, shallow saute pan, heat on medium high. Add the cashews and spread out in an even layer. Toast, stirring occasionally until lightly browned here and there, and you smell the aroma of the toasted cashews. Remove from the pan to a bowl.

2 Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Heat on medium. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.

3 Increase the heat to high/medium high. Add a couple tablespoons more of olive oil to the pan. Add the roughly chopped kale. Add the red pepper flakes. Use tongs or spatula to turn the kale leaves over so that they are all coated with olive oil. Cook about 5 minutes, turning the leaves over often, until they are just beginning to wilt. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until golden. Sprinkle on lemon juice, soy sauce and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in the cashews.

Taste and add more salt and lemon juice to taste.

Yield: Serves 4.

based on this recipe:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sauteed_kale_with_toasted_cashews/

-----------------------------------------------------------

and my ground cherry custard pie one (you can use most any tangy fruit in this; just change the spices to fit):

Ground Cherry Custard Pie

2 c ground cherries, hulled

2, 9" pastry shells

1 c sugar

2 T flour (i use whole wheat)

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp cardamom

3 beaten eggs

nutmeg

Line pie pan with 1 crust. Mix dry ingredients except nutmeg, and eggs. Toss with ground cherries and pour into crust. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover with 2nd crust, press edges together, crimp, and trim if need be. Gash top for steam. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, reduce heat and continue baking for 30 minutes or until nicely browned (takes a good bit longer in my oven, but might not in yours). This is good warm or cold, and it's not too sweet.

modified from a Midwest Gardener's Cookbook (listed under rhubarb custard pie)-- great harvest cookbook, by the way!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz