Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organicadam

composting horse manure questions?

OrganicAdam
9 years ago

Ive never composted using horse manure before and I have one pile which I put 3 inches of horse manure then 3inches of fruit n veggie scraps and kept on layering it, I also add azomite, kelp meal, fish meal, small amounts of dolomite lime throughout the layers. after it is fully composted can I plant directly in it like conventional compost (ex.leaves an grass clippings)? will it burn the plants?

Thanks for the help,
Adam (New Bern NC)

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Organic,
    Hose it down, use a shovel, turn it.
    Throw a tarp over it to hurry it up if you want.
    Then do it once a week, til it is dirt. Literally, it will look
    like soil when its done.
    Just throw non protein in the pile all winter, and in spring, you will have compost.
    You are throwing fresh manure in the pile right?
    It has to age, break down so it won't burn your plants.
    You will see how different it looks, it just takes longer in the winter because the temps are lower.

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I don't think you want to plant directly in it. Are you trying to make a bed using something like the lasagna method? If that's the case, you should probably wait for at least a month before planting into it. If it's just a compost pile that you're going to spread later, then once it's done it's done. Treat it like you would other compost.

When you say fresh manure, do you mean really fresh like scooped from the stable into your pile? Or do you mean it has already been sitting a few weeks after cleaning a stable waiting for someone like you to pick it up and run with it? If it's been sitting already, it should have a nice aroma when you dig into the top layers. Something like a pipe tobacco, or a maple syrupy kind of smell if that makes sense. Down deeper into the pile where it hasn't had access to air in a while, it might have a funkier smell that's not quite so pleasant. That will dissipate very quickly.

I like the fresh stuff to apply directly to the veggie plots in the winter and let it age and leech into the ground until I'm ready to till it in and plant in the spring. I get it by the small dump truck load locally. Had the best corn I've ever had this summer! Must be doing something right! :-)

• OrganicAdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help, I'm composting it in a compost bin and it has broke down a lot already, it is old manure with some fresh stuff. I get it from a local stable. I also get tons of fruits an veggie scraps from a local food lion after its gone bad so I add nice layers of that. I won't be using this pile tile spring so it will sit. I'm probably going to turn it once then when it cools let my worms have a go at it over the winter..(I'm hoping it will keep them warm). after its all finished can I fill raised beds with it or should I cut it with peat moss?

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I think you need top soil mixed with it if you're building raised beds. There's no structure in compost. No mineral content. Just organic matter. Too much of a good thing is just that. Peat will make it acidic and is essentially the same thing as compost, just a very specialized version.

• OrganicAdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chrisb, thanks for the advice

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?