Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdbheartsease

Photo of my Carnivorous Garden - Pitcher Plants

Judy Brown
11 years ago

I just wanted to share a photograph of my carnivorous plants - pitcher plants. I have several of these containers that I've put together. The plants are quite easy to care for. There are 2 different types in bloom in this photo.

Comments (15)

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another view of that container, but at a different time.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another view of that container, but at a different time.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    11 years ago

I absolutely love it!
    Question, does it get much sun? I have alot of sun, but could find a shady place, or build something for it.
    Can you water it using a hose? Or do I have to buy distilled water for it?
    Do you use regular potting soil?
    Do they come back every year?
    They look so nice and healthy, I don't think I have ever seen a pitcher plant that tall.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you.
    Here's the answers to your questions:
    This particular container gets about 50% full sun and then shade in the evening. I have another container that's in full sun. The trick is keeping the peat moss/sand mixture wet all of the time.
    I use rain water from rain barrels to water with. You can use regular water, just let the water sit for 48 hours, before watering the plants with it. And you can use distilled water, but that get costly.
    I use 50% peat moss and 50% sand.
    Yes, they come back every year, bigger and better. They're easy to divide. So, you can share them. You leave them outside year round. They're one of the easiest plant to care for. I absolutely love them. Thanks for looking.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the other carnivorous bed that get full sun. The terra cotta bowl has venus fly traps in it.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

great pix and gardens!! Thanks so much for sharing! I LOVE carnivorous plants. Mike (hosta) has quite a collection, too. If you ever want to do a special trade for those.... hoo, boy! :)

• tamelask
    11 years ago

i'm curious- i don't have much full sun- best i have is 5 hours afternoon sun or so. and that's where i have mine- always read.heard they want as much sun as they can get. So i didn't realize they did ok in part sun. Which do you find yours like more?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, Thanks for comments. The more I think about it, both of those containers are actually in part sun. The container that up against the "peeling" shed get more sun than the other container. I think they both do very well. I posted a current photo of the "peeling" shed container.

• hibiscus909
    11 years ago

I have got to repot my pitcher plant. Do you use play sand or builders sand with the peat?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Geez, I got the sand from my neighbor, so I don't know if it was builders or play sand. I start at the bottom of the container and mix small amounts of the sand with the peat moss and wet it really good. Then I'll add more peat and sand and water and continue to mix really good. I've been know to even threw in some perlite. I do this all the way to the top of the container and then add the plants and then water the plants really good. I use rain barrel water.

• hosta200
    11 years ago

I've always had good luck using sandblasting sand and peat mixed 50/50. The sand is mostly made up of quartz. I get mine from the lumber yard but I think Agrisupply carries it. I use the coarse sand not the fine stuff.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

so is 100% peat bad, then? That's what i've had mine in forever and i just repotted some of them in that, too.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, I think 100% peat moss is ok. One of the W-S Garden shop recommends 100% peat. That's what they grow theirs in. The grower that I bought mine from, recommends 50% peat and 50% sand. A website recommended using perlite mixed in. So I threw a handful of perlite in. That's so the containers don't get so heavy.

• hosta200
    11 years ago

Over time the peat can get too compacted. The sand or perlite is supposed to help more oxygen get down to the roots when watered. I know of several people who use straight peat successfully so if it's been working okay for you stick with it.

• tamelask
    11 years ago

Thanks, Judy & mike. I'll leave them be for now but next time will do a half & half mix. Mine are in small enough containers weight isn't an issue.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!