Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my hostas?

Posted by lovemyshovel z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 23:38

Here are some pix of my hostas :-(

I used to have lots of hosta in several beds. They are all dying. I only have a few left. What is happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my hostas?

Looks like something's eating them to me. Whatever it is, they'll soon be going dormant for the winter anyhow. They'll come back next year more than likely. I get a fungal thing in some of mine next to a stream that defoliates them completely in late summer each year, and they always come back the next a strong as ever. Next year you can spray them with whatever repels whatever's eating at them (slugs, rabbits, deer). Hostas are candy for lots of critters.

o

do you have deer? Mine get eaten by deer (and rabbits)...

slugs usually go for hostas, but that would have to be a BIG slug....

Carrie

o

Post over on the Hosta forum. Those nuts love looking at pics and will probably have a whole range of opinions/ideas.

o

Looks like foliar nematodes to me

o

I agree with brenda. A systemic treatment added now while you still have some leaf will help. Another treatment in spring after the shoots begin to open should help although it won't deter rabbit/deer browsing.
You might also want to check for vole activity. If you have them and they've chewed off much of the roots the plant will stop producing leaves while it grows more root system.
You can lift these plants to check for pest activity and replant them. Use a spading fork to loosen the soil and lift the plants so you can check the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here