Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shari1332

Fall garden pics

shari1332
15 years ago

With the days getting shorter there is more time for web browsing and picture posting. I love this time of year.

Aromatic aster

{{gwi:586829}}

Georgia aster- I've taken some of these to the swaps. Thanks to esh_ga for the seeds!

{{gwi:586830}}

Swamp sunflower

{{gwi:586831}}

Anyone else have Fall pics to share?

Comments (37)

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish you could post links in your opening posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos love the asters

Blueangel

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Blueangel. I haven't seen any pics on this forum in a while and thought the best way to see some more would be to post mine and invite others.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

shari, how beautiful! I'm so glad those seeds worked out for you. Mine are blooming now too.

You can post links in your opening post, you just have to wait until after you "preview" and then add them, preview again and then submit.

Your pictures are just gorgeous. I love the bit of dew in the sunflower one.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Yipee. I've missed the garden pictures. Your pictures, as always, are gorgeous. I need to get out and take some of my own. Adele

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks esh_ga. I take most of my pictures in the morning before the dew has evaporated.

Adele, I would love to see some new garden pics. I really enjoyed seeing your last album.

• dellare
    15 years ago

{{gwi:586832}}

{{gwi:586833}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall, 2008

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Adele, i love that spider web pic! It's nice to see everything so green and lush with these recent rains! What is that yellow striped plant? Looks like some sorta sage... very cool whatever it is.

Shari, thanks for starting the threads up again. Your garden and shots are gorgeous as always.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Is that the 'Fireworks' Goldenrod?

• DYH
    15 years ago

Great photos (and plants)! I'm amazed at all the color still in the gardens. Then again, it's going to be in the 80's next week. Our gardening season is getting longer.

Shari -- write your post; submit; during the PREVIEW, the link box will appear so that you can go back and edit and add the URL link. Annoying, but that's how I do it.

I've not been posting photos on the forums much because I blog almost daily and just get really tired from doing two sets of uploads.

I have posted recent photos of Encore Azaleas, swamp sunflower, loropetalum, coleus, salvias, etc.

Cameron

{{gwi:586834}}

{{gwi:586836}}

Here is a link that might be useful: gardening blog

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

I was so glad to see a post for this! I finally got outside with the camera today. Here's a few of the plants still blooming around my yard:
    Annual Vincas
    {{gwi:586837}} {{gwi:586838}}
    Annual Phlox and Zinnia
    {{gwi:586839}} {{gwi:586840}}
    Some Morning Glories in the ditch across the street
    {{gwi:586841}} {{gwi:586842}}
    The Funky Fruits of the Castor Bean plant
    {{gwi:586843}}
    Pampas Grass in full plume
    {{gwi:586844}}
    The blooms of Zebra Grass (Miscanthus zebrinus?)
    {{gwi:586845}}
    A very colorful ornamental pepper
    {{gwi:586846}}
    Toad Lily - Tricirtis 'Taipei Silk'
    {{gwi:586847}}
    And this cool plant is Salvia koyame - Yellow Salvia. I bought it this past Spring and did not plant it for months because it needed moist shade, which I don't really have. The poor thing suffered and wilted in the pot so many times and almost died once. What a tough little bugger to rebound AND live to bloom this fantastic color!
    {{gwi:586848}}

• coorscat
    15 years ago

Transplanted: I just loved the coleus in the background of the vinca. What a great combo. Thanks for sharing your pics

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Lovely pictures Shari. I especially like the dewy sunflower. :)

Adele you could frame those two pics you posted on here, the one with the goldenrod and the one with the spiderweb. Beautiful! What is the raspberry pink salvia?

Transplanted I like that toad lily. Is it really that pink?

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I just really enjoy taking pictures.

Adele, your border is looking so full and pretty!

Cameron, your pictures and blog are really great. It would take me many hours to do half as well,lol.

Transplanted, I like your zinnia and butterfly bush combo.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Yes more pictures please. I will try to take some more closeups tomorrow on my day off. I'm sorry my pictures suck but I just put my digital on point and click cause I am clueless. I have a particularly lovely chrysanthemum I got for Niche Gardens last year that I need to capture.

I don't know what the salvia is. It hasn't opened its buds yet but it appears to be blue. It kind of just appeared in my garden this fall. I plant tons of left-over, propagated plugs from work but none of us have ever seen this one. I think and so do the people at work that it looks like some kind of deficiency but it is definately cool. I will take a picture of it when the flowers open.

The solidago is 'Fireworks'. It must LOVE sandy soil cause that stand was planted just two years ago and it was one small plant. Adele

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Oh, fireworks likes clay, too- it's a spreader no matter what, i think. Great plant, though. i plant mine with my red cascade mini rose and some of my lycoris come up near & among it. I love red & yellow together.

I took some cool pix of my fall crocus a few days ago, and will try to post soon. I'm kinda buried under fair mess right now, though. I'm so glad y'all are posting, though!

• DYH
    15 years ago

I'd love to see more pics from folks, too.

Transplanted -- I love all the colors and variety.

Adele -- my salvia greggii are growing great right now. The most color in my garden! Those sun coleus that I got from you are huge and glorious! All the black&blue salvia are also growing great, too. I have mentioned "the nursery" a few times in my blog, with links. :-)

Shari -- I wanted to ask you about the wild asters that I see along the roadside right now. Do you know anything about them? They are blue and very pretty along a roadside near me.

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

The Toad Lily is actually spotted purple and white. I think the flash went off when I snapped that one.

My 'Immortality' Tall Bearded Iris is in bud again and I can't wait to get a shot of that. Imagine, Iris blooms in October! This is its third time blooming this season. Hopefully it will be open by the weekend.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Heres a cool momma and her babies

{{gwi:586850}}

and a daylily Bela Lugosi

{{gwi:586852}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall, 2008

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

A few more:
    Butterflies
    {{gwi:586854}} {{gwi:586856}}
    Multi-colored Annuals - I didn't have these growing together, but I'll bet they would have been a cool combo
    {{gwi:586857}} {{gwi:586858}}
    and how about a close-up of a dark purple Petunia and hot pink Verbena?
    {{gwi:586859}} {{gwi:586860}}

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

Adele
    Your Bella Lugosi is so handsome! I'm guessing that shot was earlier this season? On your link, I love love love the Chrysanthemum shots - nice combo! But I have to say it, ewwwww to the spider! I know they're helpful but I am not a fan.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Hi transplanted. All those pictures were from today. I heavily planted daylilies this late summer and that was a nice how dee doo from one of them.

I love the spiders and this particular one got my interest when she relentlessly sat on this strange little sack on top of my salvia. I was curious and kept an eye out for her thinking whatever it was it was important to her and so I checked on them every morning...that said they still make me squeamish. I am nearsighted and have to get really close to see them well enough. I actually blew softly on them to make them move to take the picture. Adele

• dellare
    15 years ago

Cameron, I am glad you are enjoying the coleus. I push them heavily in late summer/early fall but don't have many takers. They are worth their weight in gold at this time. They add vibrant color to fall gardens at a time when most nurseries are just trying to get rid of them. Two months of color and drama are worth the little time and low cost to plant. I can't keep them happy enough in mid-summer but fall just seems to be their best time. I always take advantage and plant them where color is lacking in my pooped perennial gardens

The pictures are all so beautiful and I really appreciate the time spent to upload and share. Adele

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Adele, you have an amazing variety of plants! I love all the salvias and your cupheas. Is that mum 'Niche's October Glow'? I have Single Apricot Korean but love the deeper color of the other one.

I'm working on a new album:)

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

transplanted, that deep purple petunia looks like one I bought at Lowes a couple of years ago that was very fragrant.

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cameron, I haven't seen any blue roadside asters here but they could be the Aromatic aster since it is native.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern aromatic aster

• amyflora
    15 years ago

Adele,
    Lucie and I just watched Charlotte's Web yesterday, and I can't wait to show her your spider photo!! You have such a great eye for appreciating all the beauty in your gardens.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

It's wonderful to see the photos going again. I also love the roadside asters, my favorite is Aster grandiflorus (Symphyotrichum grandiflorum), which has flowers over 2" in diameter. We rescued some a few years ago from the path of a bulldozer in a new housing development and have been working to establish here.

{{gwi:586861}}

{{gwi:586862}}

also current in the garden, anemone:
    {{gwi:586863}}
    clematis ramona in rebloom:
    {{gwi:586864}}
    colchicum waterlily
    {{gwi:586865}}
    cool chimeric passalong aster
    {{gwi:586866}}

{{gwi:586867}}
    more wild asters in the meadow
    {{gwi:586868}}

{{gwi:586870}}

{{gwi:586872}}

{{gwi:586874}}

{{gwi:586875}}

{{gwi:586876}}
    Pat Vlasto:
    {{gwi:586877}}
    Red Velvet:
    {{gwi:586879}}
    Salvia regla:

Salvia forskaohlei

Salvia caudata:

two toned buds of Salvia Elise:

salvia van houtteii (a favorite)

view from the bonus room:

canna indica:

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen...sigh. Thanks for the tour:) Now, what is the plant with the sinningia type blooms? And the one that looks like a blooming palm? How's the GH going?

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone! I have been meaning to get out and snap a few but I have had my hands full with a million other projects. Maybe this evening I need to take a break.

• DYH
    15 years ago

So much fun to see these!

Karen -- you must not have bunnies? Every aster I plant, the bunnies eat! That's why I was asking about the wild ones since those seem to be growing well around here!

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

No, I have plenty of bunnies. And deer, and voles, and squirrels ... There have been a few asters over the years that the rabbits have gone after so vigorously that I don't even look at them in the nurseries any more, like A. lateriflorus cultivars. I quit counting how many 'Lady in Black' I served up. The aromatic aster, like the first one Shari showed, seems to be fairly rabbit resistant in my garden.

Shari, the ground is still being prepped for the greenhouse. Life seems to keep intruding on my plans so it's slow going. Is the sinningia type flower the plectranthus in photo # 11? It's been a long blooming one for me this year. And the palm like foliage with the pink flowers is a spathoglottis (ground orchid) that I found at Home Depot in Florida.

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes on the plectranthus- I love it! I still have not successfully wintered over any plectranthus though.

Cameron- I have bunnies too and have lost the New England asters that I've tried. I think you can count on those first two that I posted although your bunnies do seem to be hungrier than mine- I have almost no rabbit feeding once the weather gets warm. I think that both would wintersow well. I know the Georgia aster will.

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:586896}}

{{gwi:586897}}

Lindheimer's Muhly

{{gwi:586898}}

Here is a link that might be useful: October 8-14

• dellare
    15 years ago

So much color this late in the season. How lovely.

Shari, your pictures, in all seriousness, brought tears to my eyes they are so beautiful. I especially loved the muhly. We carried 'Pink Flamingo' this year but it is very floppy in pots and we are having trouble selling it.

I love fall. Adele

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Shari, did you do anything in particular to germinate those Georgia aster seeds?

• shari1332
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wintersowed using the milk jug method but I've had significant reseeding with new seedlings popping up even now from last year's bloom I presume. I'll try to get a good photo of a seedling plant and post it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting