Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with small dirt mounds in yard ...

Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 6:50

Got some small coffee-cup dirt mounds about 1.5" tall scattered over my yard. No signs of underground tracks, so I'm sure it's not moles, etc. I scraped away the dirt and found a slightly smaller than dime-sized hole. I'm wondering it it could be those cicada wasps since I saw one burrowing down in the backyard about a month ago.

I just don't know what it could be, but I've pressed down the dirt mounds and they keep re-appearing every day. Anyone have a clue?? I need to get something down before they ear every bit of my new grass seedlings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with small dirt mounds in yard ...

According to Google, that's exactly what you've got. You might try an application of grub killer drop spread over your lawn seedlings soon as they get more mature (when you can mow the lawn).

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 12:58

I could never see what it was, so I put out an application of grub killer and the borrowing seems to have stopped. Now I have to put out more grass seed, if I hav enough time before it gets cold.

o

We still have lots of warm,grass-sprouting weather ahead with a few cold snaps that shouldn't hurt the seedlings, just slow them down. Make sure you keep them moist.

o

Not moles but voles:

Here is a link that might be useful: Voles.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here