Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container planting

Posted by dirthappy Hilton Head - 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 7:38

Hi. I recently moved from Upstate NY to Hilton Head. I can't do any in ground planting yet but I was wondering about container growing. This being a long growing season area, what types of plants do well in the fall months?

In NY I had over 30 different roses in my garden and would love to have one or 2 here. Would they thrive in a pot?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container planting

Hi dirthappy....Welcome to the Carolina's. I've been in N.C. for 5 1/2 years and love it. I've heard that the large "Tidy Cat" cat litter buckets are great for container growing. I understand you drill a hole 1" up from the bottom and it's good for tomatoes. I'm going to try it next year. Right now, I store corn (for the turkeys)in the containers. I picked up 4 of these containers at the local dump. Lynn

o

Hilton Head fall/winter container gardening is fun and colorful. Your local box stores and nurseries should have flats of pansies, swiss chards, flowering kales, stock, lettuce, parsley, chives available. Also, young camellias and azaleas which can be winter grown in pots this year and planted out in the spring. Suggest that you stop at The Greenery nursery and ask your question. A very helpful staff there.

o

Hi there Dirthappy, glad to hear you got moved OK. Welcome to the Carolinas and SC in particular!! Nandina is right, there are tons of nice plants out there for fall and winter. I just picked up Mums and Pansies yesterday. As a rule, I plant those in containers for moving around in the winter and a nice splash of color. This is getting to be the right time to plant bulbs for early spring blooms as well. I know you will enjoy the mild winter and a beautiful earlier spring that what you are used to. Have fun and again welcome!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here