Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of helianthus growing along roadsides?

Posted by torajima (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 8:26

There is a gorgeous yellow sunflower growing wild along the roadsides of central NC.

I believe it is a variety of helianthus... anyone know which one? I'd love to plant some in my yard!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of helianthus growing along roadsides?

There are several natives. It may be Heliopsis helianthoides, Smooth Oxeye Daisy. It grows well in my yard too, from seeds from NC Bot Garden. It bloomed first year, and spreads by seed and underground runners.

o

Thanks, that could be it, but I'm not sure. It looks like there are about 26 species in NC, according to usda.gov!

I was hoping to collect a sample, but D.O.T. mowed them all down a couple of weeks ago.

o

Turns out it wasn't helianthus at all.

It was Bidens aristosa, "tickseed sunflower".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here