Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Tuscarora crape

jimtnc
15 years ago

Anyone have any feedback on this variety? I'm having a redbud replaced and I narrowed my choice down to a Dynamite or Tuscarora crape. I already have a red crape that's growing leaps and bounds not far from where this plant site, so I'm leaning more towards the Tuscarora. It's supposed to have real pretty coral pink flowers and is classed as a 20' plus tree, which is okay.

I've seen some really nice pics of this tree, but wanted to get some fresh "real" perspective from you guys. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

If it were me, in addition to the disease resistance and size attributes, i'd make sure the colors looked ok together to me. Personally, i hate pink and true red together, so that'd be a no no, but most 'red' crepes are really deep pink anyhow- in other words a cool red- which would probably look ok together. Seems like keeping cool based colors and warm based colors together always works better than mixing the 2, when you're talking about a variant of the color- ie:a lighter or darker shade. It's just a horrid realization after you go to lots of expense and work to see the colors clash, especially for something that blooms as long as crepes. I've certainly inadvertently had some bad combos in my garden, but mostly they're shorter blooming bloopers so if they're hard to move I leave them or try to add in a bridging or harmonizing color. Sorry, I don't have any input on the varieties you picked.

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

I been looking at these crepes (Muskogee Crape Myrtle, Arapaho Crape Myrtle, Tuscarora Crepe Myrtle) thinking about buying a few of each and plant in a roll. One reason I thinking about these is because they grow about the same height. Even before seeing this message on the forum, I was trying to get ideal how these would look together. Maybe I plant all of one color, but I like different colors. If I do plant different colors, what the best way to mixed the colors? Color 1 then color 2 then color 3 and then repeat till get to end? Maybe mixed the trees together without knowing where I plant what color? Plant so trees go from one shade to the next closest then repeat? Give me a planting plan that would look great together. The plan can use the trees I been think about are some other you think make a good color group( about the same height).

Also any cheaper way to get crapes. Such as rooting, planting seeds, from plants coming up around bigger tree. Do people ever bring crape myrtles to plant swap?

I got my first crape from Lowe's about 5 mounts ago and it doing good, but I don't know it's name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some crape I been dreaning about

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Basil- i'd say the best person to come up with a color scheme & plan is you. Only you know your preferences- do you like repetition, formality? Or do you prefer the way nature mixes things? One thing you can do to help you envision it, is use some easy photo editing software and download pix of the varieties you're thinking about & try possibilities. Put them in a row, by color. Mix them up randomly, maybe staggered a bit instead of a straight line. Try one where you go down through the hues, like you said- see what appeals to YOU. If it's your garden that's what matters. If you don't have photo editing software, you can sort of get the same effect by downloading the pix, duplicate them for as many trees as you're thinking about in each color, and just arrange the opened files on your desktop. If that's all too high tech, you could try sketches.

To me, from what you've posted before you don't seem like someone who wants formality. Before i even started, i'd probably be sure i liked all or most of the possible color combos together. Then, if it were me, I'd probably put them in a staggered row (think clusters of 3 or four trees a bit off line), fairly randomly, not looking at color at first then swapping around until i got the combos i liked. But that's because i like a more natural, unplanned look myself (without the glaring clashes that true randomness can produce). Honestly, though- I probably wouldn't plant a whole row of any one thing, even mixed colors- i prefer to mix my plants up as well as colors.

As to cheap ways to get crepes, you need to find out if you have a wholesale nursery in your area that will sell to the public. Or if you know a landscaper who could buy for you and pass on the savings, that could work to. Around Raleigh, the cheapest place is broadwell's, but i don't believe they carry named varieties- just colors. They used to be about $40 for 15' trees; smaller sizes were available and cheaper. You could probably start from suckers, but it would take a long time. Starting from seeds wouldn't give you named varieties and you wouldn't know the colors. I think i've seen some crepes (suckers or seedlings) at the swaps before. You could always watch for sales at lowe's, too- they do have sales on stuff that's getting ratty, at least around here. Often you can get stuff for 1/2price or lower. Also, walmart and k-mart sometimes will do the same thing. Home depot ,at least the one close to me, is less likely to do sales for some odd reason.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Just make sure it is the mildew-resistant improved variety (most of the Native American tribe named are; don't see Tuscarora listed under that, though).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Once I realized that color within a variety differs considerably from one tree to another do to the constant reproduction of say, Tuscarora, I started rooting green branches from desired trees. Whenever I found a magnificent color and form, I took a little branch. In a year, I had a small tree equivalent to a three gallon from the stores.
    This has assured me of great trees and I don't wonder anymore about the wide color range a variety might have.

A respected plantman told me that was why the tree in the store was not as vibrant as the tree down the road.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I have 3 Tuscarora and love these crapes.

Cameron

{{gwi:587113}}

{{gwi:580900}}

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the comments folks. I'm having the above mentioned crape planted tomorrow...about a 10'. I'm not that fussy about colors as long as they are abundant with at least a little forethought, but if it it doesn't work I can always move them around...if I still have any sun areas left that shade hasn't taken over.

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

bumblebeez,

Please give me more information on how you rooted your crapes.
    Can I take a cutting now are is it too late for this year?
    When the best time to take cutting?
    How big of cutting you take?
    You root in water? If so how long till you saw roots?
    If you didn't root in water, what soil mix you use?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Green branches not woody, root best. If you can't find a green branch, at least get a branch from this years growth.
    These things are like sedums almost, that easy.
    I stick it in moist ground outside and keep it moist. It will look dead until next spring then if it sprouts leaves you can move it where you want.
    I may or may not use rooting powder. Try not to disturb it over the winter. Even scratching it doesn't mean the roots are dead. The whole branch cutting may die but it may sprout from the roots. So don't give up until next May. Crepes leaf out late.

The cutting may be any size if it's all green. Sometimes I stick 3 feet branches in the ground. If it's woody though, I would dip it in rooting hormone.

Once it's rooted and you move it to it's place, be prepared for another one to come from the same spot.

• DYH
    15 years ago

There are 1 foot high Tuscarora seedlings around one of my crapes. Mother Nature took care of planting for me. I'm trying to decide where to plant this seedling so that I can see if it is true to color when it blooms.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, with this talk of rooting and transplanting seedlings, how can you tell when these shoots are not "suckers" and will work for new future tree growth, or are they both the same thing?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Crepe Myrtles are on their own roots and not grafted so what ever comes up is the same.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh. Okay, thanks.

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

wonbyherwits,
    You have such a great looking garden.
    How big is it?
    How much work does it take to keeping it looking that good?
    Do you have any body helping you?
    Do you build your own gardening structures?
    How much do you think you have spent on the gardens (plants and all)?
    How do you control weeds?

• DYH
    15 years ago

You have such a great looking garden.

Basil, thank you. I've tried to respond briefly.

How big is it? That's a photo of the front outer garden that is at least 60 feet long, not sure about the depth. There's a butterfly garden that is slightly shorter; a fragrance garden around a patio; a waterfall garden; a cottage garden right in front of the house.
    How much work does it take to keeping it looking that good? My husband and I are both retired. He helps with the heavy stuff and picks weeds whenever he sees one. I probably spend 4 hours a week in the garden doing "something" with a lot more hours in the spring and again in the fall.
    Do you have any body helping you? My husband as mentioned does help transplant/plant large trees/shrubs, mulching and cutting back shrubs like buddleia and the ornamental grasses. He, one son and I built a dry streambed. Both grown sons, my husband and I built a flagstone patio ourselves.
    Do you build your own gardening structures? see above; plus, a pro landscaper built our water feature, cottage garden fence, the waterfall patio, our back deck and the main path.
    How much do you think you have spent on the gardens (plants and all)? Not sure.
    How do you control weeds? mulch, weed-as-we-go when walking through the garden. The only place that we use a weed killer is on the paths. Everything else is organic.

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog