Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greetings and Salutations!

Posted by MrsHolland 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:05

Hello, everyone.

I am not new to NC, I have been here since late 2007, however, I am a complete newbie to gardening. I have messed a little with some houseplants - did you know if you don't water them they DIE? Who'dathunkit!

My family just purchased a piece of property outside of Sanford, NC with 4 acres, and we are in process of planning our first garden. No, I am not crazy - I have to do something to keep my 19, 17 and 10 year old boys busy!

Any advice anyone could offer before I just jump in headlong would be appreciated.

We have a very generous neighbor with a tiller that is going to break up the ground for us, and after that, well, the game is afoot!

Have a wonderful day and I look forward to meeting everyone!

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greetings and Salutations!

Is the soil there sand or red clay?

o

Vegetable or flower garden?

o

• Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 15:50

Get a soil analysis done from your local extension office.
The cost is less than a bag of fertilizer you may not need.

o

Oh boy what I could accomplish with three hole-diggers !!
Teenagers no less...bribe them with food and put the 10 yr.
old in charge, LOL.

o

I would guess her soil is sandy. Unfortunately I only know about clay since I am in the Piedmont. I suspect a ton of mulch works with either though. Yes, you can get soil tests and they don't cost much, and at many times are free, but not right now. Call or visit the Lee county agricultural extension agents. They will be Very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ag extension.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here