Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_kennedy

fair gardens 2010

tamelask
13 years ago

As many of y'all know, for 6 years running now i've done a fair garden with my family. I have committed the past few yrs to shoot each garden in the day and at night. Here's this year's crop. Please understand, looking at the pix is nothing compared to seeing them in 3D. Some good ones don't photograph well and some of the not so hot look better in pictures. I didn't note places, but you can see the red white or blue ribbon in the back of most of the shots. Mine took 3rd for our category (last place). Also, bear in mind, it's my album, so there are a few extra things about our garden (planning & stages), which, of course, is first in the album. Please stick with it til the end- some of the nicest are at the tail end of the tour (up on the hill if you go for real). I kept the themes together, and just did a walking tour from my garden on through, so it's roughly in one order you could see them in. Let me know what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: State Fair Gardens 2010

Comments (4)

• gw2010nc
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing - the gardens look nice - like little cottage gardens.
    When did you get the lot? Did you buy plants or you pulled them out from your garden? Does one need to pay to participate?

• gw2010nc
    13 years ago

Is that you? Wow! 500 ribbons :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garner Citizen news link

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Congratulations! A very cool looking exhibit.

• tamelask
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Esh & gw2010nc!

They may look small (average about 15 x 15') but they are a challenge to fill with good looking stuff and keep tip top for competition. We can go in as early as late april, though nobody starts that early. I put the first 2 plants in (roselles) in mid june because i wanted them to get big. The rest we began mid august with another round mid september. Some install their gardens in the 2 weeks before the fair. Most that do that grow their own stuff at home or bring in bought plants. My garden is all in the ground this year. We did buy a few plants, but not all that many. A lot of ours were from seeds. No, you don't have to pay to enter. and you're pretty much guaranteed a prize since there are 3 in each theme and 3 places. By the time you put in the time & money you really don't get much at all, believe me.

yes, that article was about us. There was a prior one that i liked better that ran the week before. He really put me on the spot with the total figure- the 500 figure was off the top, and my hub agreed it sounded about right. When i thought about it later it's probably more like 350-400 for the whole family for those 5 years. So far this yr i have about 30 ribbons or more, but i entered A LOT less than i did last year (in all of the categories). It sounds like a lot of stuff, but when you're doing cut flowers it's not that hard to put in 20-30 specimens a show, of which there are 3. Plus i do arrangements (3 shows for that, too), and potted plants beforehand. So it all adds up. And that isn't counting entering stuff in the Ag building, crafts, and my crochet work. Last year we did art, essays and recipes, too. The kids were really busy and didn't enter much at all this year compared to years past so i know our total will be much less. Doesn't really matter- we don't keep track.