Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Transplanting salvia

Posted by dellare 7NC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 10:48

I started a long bed of salvia last year. The salvia have done very well though I have decided I need something more sedate for this bed, probably repeating tall rose of sharons and variegated ligustrums for a more structured feel.

So my question is should I transplant the salvia to other beds this fall and if so how long can I wait to do this or should I wait till the spring and transplant them then. Adele

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Transplanting salvia

Good question. I would imagine that if you're doing a complete bed makeover and adding shrubs it would be a job best accomplished in the fall (once we get some regular rain).
I don't see any reason why you couldn't transplant salvias now except they'd be happier if they weren't blooming when they got their roots disturbed.
Are these the big perennial salvia?
My pineapple salvia still hasn't started blooming.
If yours are blooming you could take cuttings now in case what you move later doesn't take.

RE: Transplanting salvia

Thanks Dottie. Most of the salvia are still blooming. My pineapple (in another bed) has not started blooming yet either. The salvia bed that I am speaking of has a large mix of salvia including many greggiis, guaranitica, microphylla as well as others. I would like to wait till a bit later possibly November to transplant them. Adele

RE: Transplanting salvia

Adele, knowing that salvia can be murdered by wet turned to ice, I'd put a tall stake now in the middle of each clump you plan to move. That will give you something to tie the stalks to and then not clip them back until after frost next spring. Clipping them back before winter is not advised unless you plan to cover them with an inverted pot to keep the rain out of the open stalks. Help the roots to grow toward the moisture.

RE: Transplanting salvia

Adele, I would think you could transplant the hardier species like nemerosa and superba this fall, but I'd wait until spring to transplant the greggiis and microphyllas. If you do have to move them now, take a cutting to overwinter just in case you lose them. Guaranitica is pretty tough any way you look at it -- if you transplant and lose 'Black and Blue' there are about a million of us who can restock you in the spring.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here