Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Keeping Elephant Ears Over the Winter

Ralph Whisnant
9 years ago

My Colocasia / Elephant Ears, especially 'Black Magic', have sent out numerous runners this year and made lots of new plants. I need to remove these extra plants and store them to over winter. I no longer have room in the greenhouse and I do not like going into my crawl space (those hairy crickets give me the creeps.) Would potting them up and burying the pots under a pile of leaves work? Does anyone remove the soil from the bulb and store them dry in plastic bags? Any suggestions of methods that you have used successfully will be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Whatever Black EE I have, it comes back each year no matter what. Every attempt at overwintering has failed except sheltering in the greenhouse (which is also too full for anything more). Some of them don't seem to form the right kind of storage tuber to make it through the winter.

Good Luck

• chas045
    9 years ago

I suppose that the black EEs could be different from the common green ones like I have and my experience might not apply. I have always had success by taking those that I kept in large pots into the garage after they have dried out on the deck for a couple weeks or more (still in their pots). I believe that most of the tubers are alive when separated in spring. I also leave ground planted EEs alone. Some of these don't survive, but others do, and it seems that once a clump survives, it will re-emerge in future years, sometimes more or less productive. I have sometimes replanted tubers (sometimes I get tubers; other times, bulbs) about now or next month. I don't think they usually survive, but I believe I found a couple late small plants that came up from last year. I think I am in 7b, if you are really in zone 8 then you should do better; right?

• nannerbelle
    9 years ago

Ralph, it entirely depends on the plant. I have lousy luck with Black Magics. But my Jacks Giant is thriving and turning one of my beds into a jungle. All I do with it is to leave it in the ground, make sure it has a good layer of mulch and let nature take it's course. I stressed the crap out of it last year and had multiple pots of babies off it. I moved and all of them were potted for a full year including overwintering in a garage on a house under construction. I also have a couple of other varieties which went thru the same conditions. All of them survived well and are doing better this year than ever before. Here is a picture of one of my Jack's giants and my 6 month old GSD pup. I just took this a couple of days ago.

• nannerbelle
    9 years ago

Here is another good one of the Jack's Giant. The pup is about 50 lbs now and can put her paws on my shoulders. That gives you a good idea on how large these are.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As a follow up I have an ee called 'Pink Elephant' aka 'Pink Stem'. It is very hardy and spreads quickly and comes up several weeks earlier that any of my other ee's. Several years ago I potted up over a dozen and left the pots outside in a semi-protected area. None of them survived in the pots even though we had a relatively mild winter.
    This spring I had in-ground plants of Fontanesii, Elepao, Illustris, Pink Elephant and Mojita all return even though we had a night or two with single digit temperatures. I have another variety survive that I thought was 'Black Magic' which surprised me since I have lost Black Magic in the past if I left them in the ground over winter. Now that I have seen John's Black Magic and ones at Campbell Rd Nursery, I realize that mine is not Black Magic but another similar variety. I think that I got it in one of our plant swaps about 3 or 4 years ago and, unfortunately, I have passed it along as Black Magic. It has darker black stems but leaves that are not as dark as Black Magic. I also spreads aggressively like Fontanesii by runners just below the surface of the ground. The clump from last year's plant has made over a dozen new plants several feet away, some of which are over 6 feet tall. I should be able to post a picture if no one identifies it from this description.

• raci57045
    9 years ago

Raci570 -- I live in the foothills of western North Carolina and planted an elephant ear plant last year and did great all spring and summer. When the leaves died back, I cut them back and covered it over with mulch. So far, nothing's emerged. Should I be concerned? Here it is April 10th; or do you think it'll start to send out leaves later on?

• chas045
    9 years ago

Way too soon to worry. I think it depends on when you receive steady warmth. I mentioned above, finding some new plants (I would guess) in July. I wouldn't think about it until May.

• raci57045
    9 years ago

Great news. Thanks, chas.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    8 years ago

Well my indian store bought tubers for edible elephant ears have just started Sprouting!!!

I thought I lost them as I did not do any frost protection for them. Yay!!!

I use the leaves in Indian cooking .

• raci57045
    8 years ago

M-m-m-m-m sounds good. Mine haven't come up yet, but I've got faith.

• chas045
    8 years ago

I haven't noticed any of my in ground plants growing yet. So Sabji: how do you cook or eat the leaves because I will certainly have more than enough for foliage?

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

yes! the leaves and tubers. both, are edible as I bought them from the indian store as a vegetable.

I did read a long time ago about various types and if I remember, they are several genera( and more species) in this collection? As I do not know too much about the edible factor for them, I stick to the edible ones from the indian store, Colocasia sp. ( maybe esculenta). The green stem and the purple stem.

Where did you buy the tubers? You must make sure that they are edible ones. They are some that are ornamental ( the one with the dog picture are ornamental types , I think)

As the oxalic acid content is pretty high in the leaves and tubers, you have to cook them really well. In India we cook steam them with brown sugar and Tamarind paste/lime juice along with indian spices to offset the oxalic acid crystals.

The can really scratch your throat.

My husband will not eat them as he is very sensitive. I do not seem to have too many issues.

For that matter , Purslane, and some other greens, have a bit of Oxalic acid crystals.
    I love Purslane too. I cook them with lentils. Mm mm.

• raci57045
    8 years ago

Sabji, are you talking about all types of elephant ear leaves and tubers being edible or just certain types? I don't want to see anybody get poisoned.

• chas045
    8 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I actually suspect that I have the edible kind but I'm not sure. I had never heard that anyone ate anything except the root. Re purslane; I am surprised that you don't already have it as a weed. I am in the country and it is certainly all over. I have nibbled it on occasion. I doubt that a little oxalic acid would do anyone much harm. It should just give a nice sour zing. As kids, we used to eat 'sour grass' which was oxalis. Sorrel soup probably has it too.

8 years ago

If you see any tiny purslane plants..I would love to have them. They do not grow in my yard. i have chick weed.. pigweed amaranthusweed....no purslane;-( anyone purslane ? bring it on.

Oxalic acid level varies ...EE it is pretty high.

Purslane not much.. I just love the taste of purslane..:-)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County