Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea) in South Carolina?

Posted by neonrider 8A/8B (Sunset-28/31) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:04

Hey, has anyone seen Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea) adult specimen trees in South Carolina? If not, then how about North Carolina? Would like to look them up or at least see the photos. Please post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea) in South Carolina?

We'll have to look around.

o

google Rome + "stone pines" .
you'll get lots of images. stones pines are all over rome(italy).
i saw a couple of stone pines that were planted a century ago in getty's villa in LA. i don't think many people know about them.

o

They sell them as little Christmas trees down here at HD.
I saw the Italian Stone pine and the Norway pine at HD last Christmas and the vendor was there unloading them.
I asked if the Italian Stone pine would live here outside and he said yes.
They are pretty when they are little, there are frankly so many pine trees where I live in SC that I would probably not even notice one.
Pines everywhere.
They get really big too from the pics I saw online.
The next time I go to Hopeland Gardens down here in Aiken, I will try to see if I can spot one.
They have most of the trees labeled, so I will take a pic on my cell for you.

o

Butterfly4u, please message me once you spot Pinus pinea (Italian Stone Pine) in HD or elsewhere. You're in Aiken, SC right? I grow them from seed myself, but I only got a dozen of them in pots and I do not sell them since i'm going o plant them in my acreage to grow some pine nuts. Want to see how they look outthere, perhaps someone has them growing in their yard larger size than just 2-3 footers. I got 7 growing in my yard, but they all are 3+ year olds and only up to 3 foot tall. They are very slow growers. When they grow big they should have a typical umbrella shape, more wide than tall. I think if they are planted in SC widespread the state would benefit from their good looks and even attract more tourism. Plant more Washingtonia fan palms here as well, cause they do grow well here. I already tested Washingtonias in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here