Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will a pumpkin last without rotting?

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 11:20

I bought many pumpkins last year for a seasonal decoration of our club. Orange and white ones.
I kept one white one at home on my table and since last late October it remains.
I'm thinking it got no bruising in its handling.

Is this still good to cut open for a Jackolantern this year or will it be all dried out? Seems to weigh about the same as when I bought it.

Some pumpkins I got last year, when cut open, many of the seeds had already sprouted and had roots and small leaves growing inside the intact pumpkin. Weird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will a pumpkin last without rotting?

Where did you store it?

o

On a pedestal stand on a table away from sunlight.

o
RE: 'How long will a pumpkin last without rotting?

Indoors

o

I think it depends on a couple of factors; how mature the pumpkin was when picked, i.e.; how hard the skin was; how hot and/or humid the conditioners where you keep it; whether or not you cut into it or puncture the skin; how it was handled between harvest and your purchase; serendipity....

It sounds as though your little white one will now last for a couple of years, maybe longer, without being cut open, but..... I THINK it is dried out inside. If you want to cut into it, it should be all dried out, seeds and flesh, - no lights in it, please - but how long it would last after cutting, I dunno.... You could put a sealer on it after cutting, but only if it is totally dry. I would seal it inside and out.

o

I just wonder if I leave it alone where it is will it last indefinitely like a gourd?

o

No, Dottie it wouldn't last like a gourd. Pumpkins don't form a hard shell like gourds do and it will begin to rot at some point.
I am thinking it is probably at the point of starting to rot now. I had an orange one that I kept over a year, but when it did rot it went quickly. I can't remember exactly how long it was I do remember my SO telling me it was going to rot and I kept checking it and it wasn't until I forgot about it and it DID, gosh what a mess too!
If I were you I would go ahead and use it for a jack-o'lantern and get some use out of it. Althought like dibbit said if it is alreadly dry well, you know. FLAMELESS CANDLE! And it will not last long as a jack if it is dried out either. Maybe 2 days if you are lucky.
On the other hand you COULD just leave it alone, see how long it WILL last and report your findings back to us ;).

Either way, good luck with your white pumpkin!

:) Fran

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here