Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a ground cover for red clay

Posted by countryfunk1976 Graham, NC, zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 12:25

I have this terrible hill in the front of my house that nothing will grow on.( except weeds and honeysuckle) I am looking for something that would grow there. Would love divisions of plants if someone has some to share. Im dealing with a horrible eyesore and am desperate for something to make this look better. Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a ground cover for red clay

Variegated periwinkle (vinca) will grow anywhere. I have plants that are being pulled out, but I am about 70 miles from you. You're welcome to all you want if you're willing to to pull them.

o

Is this in shade or sun? For sun, what about daylilies? For shade, have you tried liriope? Denise

o

I could give you some liriope and daylillies and also some vinca, but beware that the vinca will take over. I'd be sure it can't get to some place you don't want it. I control mine in pots and have composted it. I live at Elon. I'll be out of town later this week until about Nov 5, in case you want to dig some.

o

A lot of people use juniper in this situation. 'Blue Pacific' is a good one.

Variegated and regular vinca are both aggressive and you may be sorry later.

o

Sounds like a decent location for liriope SPICATA..the rampant spreader. How about some oenoethera, the rampant spreading pink flowered kind?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here