Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
False Daphne from Raleigh swap

Posted by anna_8nc 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 12:31

I brought home a healthy looking little plant called false daphne from the swap. I have not been able to find any information for any plant of that name. What conditions does it require? Does anyone know the scientific name?
Thanks, Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: False Daphne from Raleigh swap

Daphniphyllum macropodum � False Daphne. Prefers shady to part shade locations - can get 10-12 feet tall in my experience. Foliage is similar to rhododendrons (no showy flowers).

Hope this helps. Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphniphyllum macropodum � False Daphne

o

Daphniphyllum macropodum - False Daphne

As Bob says, your plant is Daphnephyllum macropodum. It is a very uncommon evergreen plant from Japan whose leaves resemble a rhododendron. It prefers shade and is reportedly hardy in our area. It has inconspicuous white flowers that can be either male or female, and you need both to produce fruit. It is growing in two location (Bed A-03 in the Asian Valley and Bed E38e in the Mixed Border) at J C Raulston

o

Thank you both. I will have to consider if I have a place for a large shrub in the shade.

o

I have one and the deer just won't let the poor thing grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here