Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
on a 'sacred' mission !

Posted by vicjg 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 12:38

Where are all the rohdea japonicas?! I discovered Japanese Sacred Lilly in the Asiatic gardens at Sarah Duke Gardens last December. Evergreen foilage-check, red berries in winter-check, shade loving-check, I even hear it is deer resistant.. watch out hostas!...

Does anyone out there know where I can find one for sale in the NC piedmont, or will I have to search online for a nursery. thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: on a 'sacred' mission !

I have a large one. Evergreen and deer resistant - check. Berries - not mine! Shade loving - check. I got it at Niche Gardens, I think. Denise

o

PDN has them.

o

I can confirm that they are deer resistant. They are my hosta substitute. The species is quite affordable, but be aware that many of the cultivars are highly collectible and can get quite expensive.

o

I don't have it (not enough shade), however, I think rhodea japonica combined with ferns and hellebores makes a striking foliage combo. I can't remember where I saw those together...could it have been the PDN gardens? I'll look through my photos.

Cameron

o

HI VICIG, I have this plant.I have about 6 pots of it.These are from my plant that I split up over the summer.I have never planted it in the shade so I don't know how well it will grow in shade.

CAMERON, I have grown this plant in full sun for years.I get the red berries on this plant in full sun too.I also have them planted with hellebores........Diane

o

Gethsemane GArdens in Brown Summit has several different types. The solid green costs $6-$8 per gal. pot, and she also has a variegated one that is a little more expensive. Mine are in part to full shade and do set berries, which have seeded out over the years. They are easy to transplant if you get babies. Besides being deer resistant, they also do well in droughts. A new hybrid is still selling for $100+. It has skinny and pleated leaves...very interesting. Rohdeas are not fast growing but can take a lot of abuse. I had three in nursery plastic pots under a deck for years, but they did not die. However, when liberated into the outdoors, they quickly grew to a nice size. I prefer natives, but this plant really does well for me and adds interest, especially in the winter, in shady areas with Hexastylis and another non-native I like, Autumn fern.

o

I checked the J C Raulston Arboretum 'Current Plantings' and found six varieties of Rohdea japonica listed as growing there. Three are in the Winter Garden in beds 19a (medial variegation & white marginal variegation) & 19d (Miyako-no-jo), two are in the Lath House in beds L13 (Nobori ryu) & L16 (Tyokkinna-zo), and there is one (Claudia Phelps) in front of the McSwain Educational Bldg in bed Su3. I will make it a point to look at them and report whether they are in flower, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here