Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicjg

on a 'sacred' mission !

vicjg
15 years ago

Where are all the rohdea japonicas?! I discovered Japanese Sacred Lilly in the Asiatic gardens at Sarah Duke Gardens last December. Evergreen foilage-check, red berries in winter-check, shade loving-check, I even hear it is deer resistant.. watch out hostas!...

Does anyone out there know where I can find one for sale in the NC piedmont, or will I have to search online for a nursery. thanks for any help

Comments (7)

• hemlady
    15 years ago

I have a large one. Evergreen and deer resistant - check. Berries - not mine! Shade loving - check. I got it at Niche Gardens, I think. Denise

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

PDN has them.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

I can confirm that they are deer resistant. They are my hosta substitute. The species is quite affordable, but be aware that many of the cultivars are highly collectible and can get quite expensive.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I don't have it (not enough shade), however, I think rhodea japonica combined with ferns and hellebores makes a striking foliage combo. I can't remember where I saw those together...could it have been the PDN gardens? I'll look through my photos.

Cameron

• susie-nc
    15 years ago

HI VICIG, I have this plant.I have about 6 pots of it.These are from my plant that I split up over the summer.I have never planted it in the shade so I don't know how well it will grow in shade.

CAMERON, I have grown this plant in full sun for years.I get the red berries on this plant in full sun too.I also have them planted with hellebores........Diane

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Gethsemane GArdens in Brown Summit has several different types. The solid green costs $6-$8 per gal. pot, and she also has a variegated one that is a little more expensive. Mine are in part to full shade and do set berries, which have seeded out over the years. They are easy to transplant if you get babies. Besides being deer resistant, they also do well in droughts. A new hybrid is still selling for $100+. It has skinny and pleated leaves...very interesting. Rohdeas are not fast growing but can take a lot of abuse. I had three in nursery plastic pots under a deck for years, but they did not die. However, when liberated into the outdoors, they quickly grew to a nice size. I prefer natives, but this plant really does well for me and adds interest, especially in the winter, in shady areas with Hexastylis and another non-native I like, Autumn fern.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

I checked the J C Raulston Arboretum 'Current Plantings' and found six varieties of Rohdea japonica listed as growing there. Three are in the Winter Garden in beds 19a (medial variegation & white marginal variegation) & 19d (Miyako-no-jo), two are in the Lath House in beds L13 (Nobori ryu) & L16 (Tyokkinna-zo), and there is one (Claudia Phelps) in front of the McSwain Educational Bldg in bed Su3. I will make it a point to look at them and report whether they are in flower, etc.