Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Walnut

Posted by coorscat 6a and 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 13:18

Once again, it looks like we will have a bumper crop of black walnuts. Have any of you with black walnut trees found the easiest way to harvest the nuts without breaking your hammer and/or staining your hands black?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Walnut

Start by wearing gloves.

o

When I was young and we lived in St. Louis in town with paved roads with gutters, we put them in the gutter and backed a VW over them to get them started. I really don't remember anything other than that about them.

Nowadays, I'd use a vise to crack them so you have ultimate control.

o

Somehow, the squirrels have the patience to gnaw open the nuts after removing the husks..same with hickory nuts.

If you have a concrete driveway I wouldn't try the burlap bag/run over it with the car a few times method..the husks will stain the concrete. Messy business that's for sure.
Probably find a site on google to tell you the trick to get the husks off. Might just be as simple as cutting a cross cut in the non-stem end and leaving them out in the sunshine to dry. I know the hickory husks open by themselves like chestnuts to release the nut.

o

Use wire cutters or cable cutters to crack the shell. Let dry a couple weeks after removing the outer husk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here