Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Peachland, NC

Posted by angryladyfermiere none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 13:19

Just moved here from the north east. A magnolia tree and a pecan tree grace my yard, too bad I have to read up on 'em. Any tips would be appreciated.
It's so much warmer here I'm delighted to be in North Carolina and even happier to have a longer growing season. I'm new to all this bright orange clay but it's not as hard as it looks?!?!?
Ran some soil tests last week. Looks like my PH is good, nitrogen is medium good, phosphorus is good and potash is high.
I've been farming/gardening for the last 2 years. A semi-newbie. I've read a lot of the books and taken some classes all to learn that... different things work for different people when you are growing stuff.
I will check out all the posts here in the forum. Anyone with any ideas of what will grow best down here please let me know. I want to grow some collard greens for a new friend, never even tried that before, but I've had luck with other greens.
Thanks and hello to all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Peachland, NC

Welcome!
This is generally an active forum although in winter it is like all others as we get busy with the holidays and indoor stuff.

Might want to check the pH of your water source too. My well is higher pH than rain water so I add well water to the rain barrels.
Check the local library and the used book stores where you'll probably find some great books specific to gardening
in this zone.
Pop in and give us updates of what works and what doesn't for you. Glad to have another enthusiast here!

Don't forget to put your non-gardening questions or stories
in the 'Conversations' section of the Carolina forum. If we
don't use it we'll lose it I'm afraid.

o

There's a really good used book store west of you on 74 in Stallings (Union Cty) opposite side of the road.
Anson and Union are big farming and poultry counties and you've settled about midway between the mountains and the beaches. What part of the NE did you leave to join the rest of us New England transplants?

o

I moved this chat to the Conversations section like suggested. Thanks. I'm sorry for my newness. I will get the hang of it.

o

I'm sorry..I didn't mean this topic. Just reminders that we have the Conversations forum for questions and topics that new residents might ask unrelated to gardening.
Very few forums have the Conversations/Exchanges extensions to their main forum. They are very helpful.

My experience with magnolia trees is once they are settled they really need no particular care except raking the leaves that fall. Do some research on-line to learn how close you can plant to its dripline and if it's not advised to be limbed up from the bottom. Seems I recall reading it should be left
to grow naturally unless it develops a double leader.

How big is the pecan tree? Do you see any old shells under it to indicate it is of producing age?

o

actually that bookstore is in Monroe on 74, check my answer to your post in the conversations forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here