Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing chicken feed in NC ideas

Posted by quirkpod 7 Lewisville NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 15:36

Now that I have hens, I want to grow things they like to eat to supplement their feed. If anyone near me (Forsyth Co. NC) has any suggestions or annual seeds or perennials to share that chickens eat, please get in touch to swap. The list is quite long, but a few are that they will eat in the garden: amaranth, mustard, kale, comfrey, squashes of all kinds, beets. For more reading on the subject http://www.chickensinthecity.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing chicken feed in NC ideas

If you have a compost pile the soldier fly larvae and pupae are one of the highest natural sources of calcium that chickens love to eat. The pupae look like dark trilobites or some sort of prehistoric life form. They are usually in the dirt away from anything fresh and new in the pile. You can freeze them and feed them all winter.

My chickens always loved left over human food - preferring a cooked squash over a fresh one, so I would cook up odd casseroles of veggies and cereal and plop it on the ground for them to demolish.

o

Try sorghum, vigorous as all heck and will survive almost anything, easy to harvest or you can leave it standing and let the chickens harvest it. It also makes a good grain for human consumption, cook it like brown rice, it tastes like almonds but has about the same nutritional content as other whole grains. Chewy and tasty.

o

Corn. You can grind it a little since some chickens won't eat it whole-kernal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here