Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogridge

centipede grass

dogridge
16 years ago

Anyone have experience with it?

We have full sun and have tried for 2.5 years to grow fescue. Every summer it gets wiped out, no irrigation system. We have amended the soil like crazy, mow high, fertilize etc. I don't like bermuda due to the runners getting into flower beds. I heard centipede is less difficult to weed out.

One thing I love about fescue is that it is green in the spring when all of the bulbs are out. Is it possible to overseed centipede? When does it green up in the spring in our area?

If you have it did you use seed or sprigs? How does it hold up to dog traffic?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

If the Centipede is healthy, it cannot be overseeded because it's too dense. Bermuda is easy to overseed but it is invasive.

• dougt
    16 years ago

I would not consider Centipede unless you have an irrigation system. It will be very thin. I think any grass type would be thin without an irrigation system. Unless you get lucky one year with an abundance of rain.

• alex_7b
    16 years ago

So are you saying "don't plant a lawn without an irrigation system in place"? I don't think many houses have built in watering systems.

In GA, the drought is worse than in NC. The Burmuda looks OK and the Centipede looks better.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

I disagree completely about the need for an irrigation system. We *never* water our centipede except when we have just planted sprigs or thrown out seed. Right now it is as green as can be and quite thick where it is established well - in the middle of an "exceptional drought". It has taken us several years to get it going well, but we just threw out seed over top of what was already there - sometimes not even watering the seeds. The only drawbacks we have found with this grass is that it is brown in winter (which I don't mind) and it does send out runners over the driveway and into planting beds, but nothing like the invasiveness of bermuda. But the biggest advantage is that we don't have to waste a drop of water on it once it's established. It also doesn't need mowing as often as fescue.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not looking for a perfect lawn, just one that doesn't need to be renovated every year and will fill in bare patches and will not invade the flower beds too badly. We have dogs, so something sturdy would be nice. ANy other suggestions?

• amldaley
    16 years ago

We are in the very edge of 7b in Coastal NC just almost in zone 8a.

We have centipede grass as do most of our neighbors and many, many people in our immediate area. It is used popularly here because it is low growing and drought tolerant. It is also popular here because, apprarently, it works effectively in sandy soils and is better at fighting against soil erosion than some other grasses (this comes from heresay, not my personal knowledge).

We watered almost daily May through August. We do not have an irrigation system - we just use regular sprinklers and make sure it is set on heavy soak at least once a week.

However, it is slow to sod and slow to green and you have to really watch it with weeds, because it is not a dense grass. It is also not great in shady areas - it needs sun!

Our neighbors overseeded with centipede and it is just barely taking. I think he mentioned that he researched grasses that are compatible with centipede grass (look for other "southern lawns" like St Augustine maybe???)

Also, be sure to use products that are rated specifically for centipede grass - regular chemicals, fertilizers and weed & feeds etc will burn centipede grass.

In general, it takes some significant work in the first couple of years, but once it gets going, this is a low maintenance grass. It is not soft or lush or particularly pretty - but it is low growing and tough and tolerant.

• amldaley
    16 years ago

Also, centipede holds up to dog traffic extremely well (to answer your question!)

• ncstockguy
    11 years ago

We have some Centipede grass growing in a mostly sunny spot in our yard near Raleigh, NC. It is great! Requires very little maintenance, slow growing, so needs mowing less often and makes a pretty carpet of green lawn. I plan on spreading it to other parts of the yard with plugs and may get some seed too. We find it superior here to both fescue and bermuda. I like the appearance. Only thing I am not sure about is how well it will do in shade. We'll find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Centipede grass

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County