Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this plant?

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 17:58

Hey guys,

So we moved into a new home a little over a month ago. The previous owners had done a lot of work in the yard planting, however, it looks like everything has overgrown and become a mess in the past few months.

Can you identify this plant that's in a stone planter? It's very pretty and blooming right now, but it is so leggy and stretched all over the place. There's something growing right in there with it, but I'm not sure what that is either. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this plant?

Few more

o

Purple bush

o

The first photo is a Lantana. There are two main varieties of lantana, one is more bush like and one is more ground cover-ey. This purply one is one of the ground cover types. They don't often get mentioned as winter hardy but I have the same plant in my yard and it always comes back.

The hot pink flower off to the side may be a geranium (pelargornum) or maybe a petunia.

The second photo is poke weed. A weed that you most likely do not want in your yard. They do have pretty magenta stems this time of year and birds love to eat the berries (poisonous to humans).

The third photo is a Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii). It looks like one of the compact forms to me. Maybe 'Blue Chip' developed here at NC State. Butterfly bushes and Lantana are related and both do an excellent job of attracting butterflies and bees to your garden.

o

Thank you wendync for posting so that John could point out these unusual (to me anyway) lantana and small butterfly bushes.

The red flower in the first photo IS a geranium. You can see the large leaf at the right-most center of the print. I bring it up because it won't survive the winter here. They can only take mild freezes. However, they can be brought in (or stored in the garage) for the winter. In CA where I came from, they lasted for 50 years until we had a two day hard freeze.

o

John, are you sure that's buddleia in the third pic? The leaves look a little small to me. I thought it might be a spirea.

The first picture has some virginia creeper mixed in with the lantana (the five-lobed vine).

o

The purple blooms and habit of the plant reminds me most of 'Homestead Purple' Verbena.

o

It looks like my 'Blue Chip' Butterfly Bush to me. I think we need a close up to be sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here