Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to stop deadheading?

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 18:29

When should I stop deadheading, if I want to collect some seeds/let some seeds go to the ground? I live in the Piedmont NC area. I am specifically wondering about dianthus (labelled annuals) and marigolds. Both are still blooming quite well right now (though some dianthus plants are slowing down). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to stop deadheading?

if you want seeds to set, stop now, though it might be too late. The dianthus will more than likely overwinter- they are pretty hardy, even the ones labelled as annuals. But the marigolds will be done as soon as frost hits them.

o

Yikes! I actually stopped a few weeks ago. For future reference, when should I have stopped? I do hope the dianthus overwinters! Thanks!

o

If these plants are hybrids they won't come true from saved seed.

o

I am aware of that, but thanks so much for pointing that out in case I didn't. I know there are a lot that don't know that, so good to not have unwanted surprises. :)

o

My suggestions would be to contact your county extension office to ascertain correct timing for seed saving. Hopefully, there'd be master gardeners on duty to help you in this effort. Maybe, there's even a state publication of this very subject, or have a leaflet online for viewing. I'm going to check this out myself, here in Buncombe Co., so thanks for posting this worthwhile inquiry!

o

I'd probably stop deadheading marigolds in mid August so the plant has a rest and recovery time. You can collect the August seedheads in Sept/Oct as the last flush of bloom is coming out.
Dianthus I just shear after spring bloom and pinch off any odd buds developing over the hot months so I get a better second bloom in late September but that's just the variety I have which are the low, mound growing type. I'm not interested in saving seed so much as getting two good flushes of blooms.

o

Thanks, everyone! Thankfully, I have been able to get a TON of marigold seeds. :):):) I didn't do so well with the dianthus, but I have a bunch of seeds from the Dollar General clearance sell. I appreciate all the tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here