Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramony_gw

When to start thinking about seeds and stuff for next spring?

ramony
15 years ago

When do you start working on seeds and thinking about the next years garden. Also what is it that I want to know to start my organic gardening season off right?

Comments (6)

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I think about my gardens all year round. Because this will be my second year starting up, I have a huge list of "To Do's" I have my fall bulbs to plant for my early spring color, a lot of clearing and dirt amending to do, you name it. I will be shopping for seeds and starting seeds in my greenhouse early spring. But planning and prepping all winter.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

This is the time to collect seeds from many perennials and some annuals now. Or take cuttings of annuals and root over the winter inside or a garage.
    Organically to me anyway, isn't hard. I don't use chemicals except round up and I remove dead leaves and stalks from plants that would have certain bugs : ie, cannas and iris do better if you clean up in the fall instead of spring. Gets rid of bugs harboring in the leaves. This rule doesn't apply to everything because some plants need the winter protection.
    Also, I use natural mulch which gets dug into the soil all the time. That's all for me. It's not so much about what you do but also what you don't do.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I went ahead and direct sowed larkspur and poppies this past week, along with planting my Dutch iris and Allium bulbs. I didn't add anymore daffodils or Spanish bluebells, but would plant those now if I wanted more.

I'm collecting seeds from verbena, gaillardia and anything else that is ready in my garden.

I've already transplanted perennials (a few weeks ago), but didn't finish dividing all of my Japanese irises like I should have.

Once we get a freeze (probably next week), I'll cut back my colocasia, ginger and brugmansia and then cover with mulch for the winter (I'm in Chapel Hill).

I use only organic products, mostly from Espoma.

Hope this helps,
    Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall planting for spring flowers

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

If you plan on winter sowing, you may want to start collecting plastic containers, punching the required holes in them, and buying whatever soil you use. I usually don't do winter sowing until January and last year could not find the good soil I have used...had to buy a cheaper but not as good product and the seeds did not germinate well in it. I am probably going to do more direct sow and fewer containers of winter sowing this year. I am running out of room for containers since some of my native plants require two years, and those plastic milk jugs are still sitting around!

• ramony
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks all!!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

Remember to order your seed catalogs now. Dirtrx

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting