Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Mini Rose and planting in yard

nannerbelle
9 years ago

Hey all, I posted this in the mini rose forum but I don't think that is a very active forum. I need a little advice on transplanting a mini rose out in one of my beds or should I chance to overwinter in the house. It's been outside on my screened porch all summer and is growing very well, blooming nicely. This one has some sentimental value to me, I got it the day I had to say goodbye to a very dear little friend of mine. Do you think it would be safe to plant now in a nice sunny place close to the house for some wind protection? And Dottie, I still owe you some pics I haven't had a chance to post up yet.

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Nanner!
    How's it going?
    Yes, plant her out! It's not too late. Mulch her well
    or you can wait til the temps drop a bit too, its nice and warm yet.
    Roses hate the heated house.
    She's better off outside.
    I hope you are happy and I know you are busy, you are a plant person after all. LOL
    Post some pics is right. Ill be too late soon.
    Oh, by the way, are you leaving your EE in the ground this winter? Just curious, I am thinking about leaving it out. I hate dragging so many plants inside anymore.
    I am slowly getting rid of plants I can't leave outside, except for my small house plants.
    Good to see you posting.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Butterfly!! Good to see you too :-) I should be around more after this week, got another mandatory lay off ahead of me but I'm looking forward to some time off to do a few things around here! I haven't had any time off since we moved in Dec. of last year so I am way past due! Thanks for the response on the little rose. I almost lost it before it got warm so I could put it out on the porch but it's bounced back beautifully with a repot this spring and some TLC this summer. I'm really happy with the progress on the yard this summer. I've got way farther than I thought I would in one season. I've got grass, the base beds are in and all my plants from the old house have been transplanted. I only lost a couple of them. On your EE's, I would leave them planted according to the type. If you try Black Magics I would love for you to let me know what you do and if you are successful. I have a black thumb when it comes to them. But I leave all of mine in ground. I've got a bunch of Jack's Giants, and some small ones that are really pretty dark purple and bright green patterned. I forgot what the small ones are. I was successful with Kona Coffee Cups too, I just lost them in the move. I also have a couple of new ones I'll be sure to get pics of that I added this year. Both are giants, one is taken off like crazy, and has HUGE leaves. The other is a upright and has ruffled leaves. Both are beautiful and doing well this year. I just leave mine in the ground, let frost kill them back and make sure they are mulched well. Just an interesting sidenote, my Jacks Giants are doing better this year than ever. I think the stress of the move may have been good for them.

• User
    9 years ago

Nanner,
    You know you may be right about the Giants.
    I am bringing some black EE in for the winter. I put that
    Rose systematic pesticide and feeder food on them about a week ago in preparation of bringing them in. I love them so much, if they die I will be very sad.
    But the green and black EE are staying outside. My home is small and I don't have room for everything. lol
    That is good you will get some time off from work. You really need that break, especailly since fall gardening is already here.
    The time went fast, didn't it?
    Guess what I bought this past weekend?
    A Banana Shrub!
    I went to the local nusery and was hit by the sweet smell of bananas, it was so strong! I look up and there was this big shrub with beautiful yellow flowers, outlined in purple.
    The smaller ones were only 20.00, and I knew the big ones must be pricey, (everything at this nursery is expensive), so I bought the little one. It doesn't have any flowers, but I do know that I like the smell when it does bloom, gives me something to look forward to.
    I would say it's about 2 1/2 ft tall, a baby.
    I planted it right in front of the house, so owhen it does bloom, I will smell it.
    Michelia figo is the botanical name of it.
    Well, enjoy your week off, mabey I will post a pic of some of my plants if they don't blow away from the storm we are getting tomorow.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Butterfly, I'm fascinated by the banana shrub. I looked them up, never heard of them before. They are beautiful!!! Got to have one LOL. I'll have to see if I can find one and have it shipped. or maybe they may have one a a local nursery.

• User
    9 years ago

Nanner,
    They have them near you at your local nursery.
    Try to buy the largest one you can afford, because I was told they grow slow.
    I could only afford the 2 1/2 footer for 20.00, but I think it has a chance of bloomin yet. LOL or I'm thinking optimistically anyway.
    Here is a pic of mine, I just planted it last weekend.
    She's getting used to her new spot.
    {{gwi:588466}}