Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flutterwings_gw

What tree has bright blue berry covered by pink pod?

flutterwings
15 years ago

Can anyone identify the following tree, located in West Jefferson, NC (Boone area)? It has a striking cyan-colored berry covered by a pink cup/pod that opens forming a 5 petaled 'flower'? Leaves and size of tree are similar to dogwood. Mystery tree was growing at the edge of the woods behind a farmhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Branch with blue berries and pink pods

Comments (7)

• dogridge
    15 years ago

Maybe porcelain berry?

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Try harlequin glorybower, Clerodendron trichtomum(?). It is an African native, which is grown mostly for the berries, and which escapes into the wild with ease.

• Ralph Whisnant
    15 years ago

Dibbit, you are right. Dave's Garden has pictures of C. trichotomum including one with the the seed that looks just like the one posted above. This Clerodendrum is native to Japan and China and is hardy in zone 7. When they bloom in the fall, they are a sweet-smelling butterfly magnet.

• flutterwings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, Dibbit and ralphw!

• shenandoah
    15 years ago

Clerodendrom is a wonderful small tree for a children's garden. Not only are the colors great and the blossoms very fragrant, but the leaves, when crushed, smell like peanut butter.

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

I saw a beautiful Clerodendron trichotomum planted in SC bot garden and ordered a small bareroot 3 years ago. I forgot about it and this summer, I noticed a "grove" of 12 little (2-3ft) trees suckered off a central small tree. I couldn't remember what I planted there, or if it was an invasive weed-tree. The smell of peanut butter off the leaves was what helped jog my aging memory. Sooooo, it's suckering and invasive, but lovely, and I will have babies for the spring Raleigh swap.

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

Yeah, there was a BIG, BEAUTIFUL one growing at Hatcher Garden (from back in the day before there was a professional horticulturist running the place), and a couple years back he cut it down and replaced it with something less invasive, even though everyone loved it, just because of it's nasty reputation.

Really pretty plant with nice-smelling leaves, but just another one of those that is probably best left to its native regions, or at least very carefully maintained so the whole neighborhood doesn't end up with them.
    Jeff

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!