Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree has bright blue berry covered by pink pod?

Posted by flutterwings (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 20:50

Can anyone identify the following tree, located in West Jefferson, NC (Boone area)? It has a striking cyan-colored berry covered by a pink cup/pod that opens forming a 5 petaled 'flower'? Leaves and size of tree are similar to dogwood. Mystery tree was growing at the edge of the woods behind a farmhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Branch with blue berries and pink pods

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree has bright blue berry covered by pink pod?

Maybe porcelain berry?

o

Try harlequin glorybower, Clerodendron trichtomum(?). It is an African native, which is grown mostly for the berries, and which escapes into the wild with ease.

o

Dibbit, you are right. Dave's Garden has pictures of C. trichotomum including one with the the seed that looks just like the one posted above. This Clerodendrum is native to Japan and China and is hardy in zone 7. When they bloom in the fall, they are a sweet-smelling butterfly magnet.

o

Thanks so much, Dibbit and ralphw!

o

Clerodendrom is a wonderful small tree for a children's garden. Not only are the colors great and the blossoms very fragrant, but the leaves, when crushed, smell like peanut butter.

o

I saw a beautiful Clerodendron trichotomum planted in SC bot garden and ordered a small bareroot 3 years ago. I forgot about it and this summer, I noticed a "grove" of 12 little (2-3ft) trees suckered off a central small tree. I couldn't remember what I planted there, or if it was an invasive weed-tree. The smell of peanut butter off the leaves was what helped jog my aging memory. Sooooo, it's suckering and invasive, but lovely, and I will have babies for the spring Raleigh swap.

o

Yeah, there was a BIG, BEAUTIFUL one growing at Hatcher Garden (from back in the day before there was a professional horticulturist running the place), and a couple years back he cut it down and replaced it with something less invasive, even though everyone loved it, just because of it's nasty reputation.

Really pretty plant with nice-smelling leaves, but just another one of those that is probably best left to its native regions, or at least very carefully maintained so the whole neighborhood doesn't end up with them.
Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here