Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsworm

tuberose issues in zone 7a

woodsworm
14 years ago

Some of you got tuberose bulbs from me at the Raleigh swap, so I will initiate a discussion on keeping them blooming. When you buy them from a grower, the first years blooms are in the bulb, but after that first year, people generally find lots of leaves, an explosion of bulbs, and few or no blooms.

I have had some good blooming years and some poor ones. I separate them every couple of years, but that does not seem to be the determining factor. They have sun, water, manure.

I am thinking the issue for us in zone 7 is the time left to grow leaves after they bloom. My Mexican singles bloom in August and September, really more in September. (My doubles, "The Pearl," died years ago, no regrets). So next year's blooms depend on when the cold kills the leaves this fall. I have read that they need six weeks of growth after blooming. I find that a little scary.

So: for those who got my bulbs Saturday, (or who get them this Saturday at High Point), you will notice that they are various sizes. I'd be shocked if many bloom next year. If you have a protected sunny place where they can extend their 2009 growth, you might consider putting some of the bulbs in pots when you separate them and sneaking in some extra growth time that way.

Am I right in thinking that the issue for our zone is not so much cold in winter (assuming we mulch them) as it is a too-short growing season? These guys are from Mexico, and we are pushing it. Wow, is it worth it when it works!

Any tried-and-true tricks for extending the growing season?

Comments (2)