Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susandonb

Garden Clubs

susandonb
15 years ago

Hello,

I live in Sandy Ridge in Stokes County and was hoping to find a local garden club. Anyone know of one in my area. I found a web site of NC Garden Clubs and have tried to contact them but cannot get a response via email or phone?

I love the idea of a garden club not only for sharing gardening wisdom but for socialization.

Thanks for any help.

Susan

Comments (19)

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Susan
    Good luck ,I hope you find one
    if you do let me know.I to have
    e-mailed and phoned all of them
    with no response from any of them.

Blueangel

• susandonb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Blue,
    Not very friendly are they? I don't understand that? They must be very clicky, don't like new people.

Thanks for replying.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Guilford Co. Horticultural Society has eight night meetings with a speaker per year plus a symposium in Feb. and a picnic in June. We have two plant swaps, one in fall and one in spring, at the night meetings. If you are close enough, please join us. Some members volunteer at the local arboretum, but it is not required. In fact, you can enjoy the meeting and fellowship with no work involved. They also sponsor some FT to local/area gardens, all free. We would love to have new members. Email me directly, and I can give you more information.

PS: Isn't there something similar in WS?

• susandonb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for replying. I will be emailing to get info.

Susan

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

NC NAtive Plant Society is very active and friendly. Lots of activities and field trips. Interesting people.
    http://www.ncwildflower.org/

• blueangel
    15 years ago

NC NAtive Plant Society
    is one that I have contacted several
    times with no replies.

Blueangel

• brenda_near_eno
    15 years ago

That's weird. You are in Triad Chapter. You can email tom@ncwildflower.org and kathys@ncwildflower.org.

Feel free to just join the first meeting or activity on the website that appeals to you. You will be welcome.

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Brenda
    Thanks I have e-mailed
    tom@ncwildflower.org four times without
    an answer.I will try kathys@ncwildflower.org.
    I also send photos to the e-mail om the web
    site with no reply.

Blueamgel

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Blueangel,

Hopefully you will get a response. I am also involved with NCNPS, both locally and statewide, and I want to issue a personal invite to our Triad meetings. If Kathy does not respond, email me off list, and I will send you more info. Right now I think there are seven chapters across the state, and the one nearest you is the Triad chapter. We often meet in Kernersville but plan hikes all around the state.

• plantbug
    15 years ago

ncrescue,

Do you think maybe the links aren't working? I'll try to send an email via the website. plantbug

• plantbug
    15 years ago

The emails are working. Please try them again as we are a friendly group.

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

Shame ya don't live in Spartanburg. The Spartanburg Men's Garden Club is ALWAYS actively seeking new members (and is about half women). In fact, we just had a vote in June to change the name to something more inclusive, but our constitution requires a 2/3 majority of those in attendance, and we didn't QUITE make it (came close, though -- I was one of those leading the charge).

The club's been around 60 years, though, and was all-male until about 15 years ago, and a lot of the old-timers (and many of their wives, who are now members) are just old-school. HOWEVER, our current president is the first female president, and many of the board members are women, and MANY of our most active members in our projects are female. At present, I don't think the club could do all it does without our many active female members.

We're a very active club, sponsoring tree-planting projects around the county (and doing prunings and fertilizings for the same), sponsoring scholarships, all kinds of projects.
    Jeff

• lsst
    15 years ago

Jeff,
    The only reason I have not joined is the name. You would think in 2008, it would have changed by now.

I am glad you led the charge though.

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Guilford County Horticultural Society is meeting this coming Monday, Nov. 17, at 7:15 p.m. Topic and speaker: Stefan Bloodworth, Duke Gardens, "The Blomquist Garden: Past, Present, and Future." Visitors are welcome, so if you are in the Greensboro area, email me off-list, and I will give you directions and have your name to introduce you as a guest.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I wish we had something here in Cleveland County, I am not sure they even have one in Mecklenburg County either, but I wouldn't be able to go there anyway.
    We need something here in Cleveland County for our gardeners, there is nothing I know of in the way of Gardening Groups in this part of NC.

Anyone have any ideas for us?

• hibiscus909
    15 years ago

I am surprised at the lack of Garden Clubs around here.
    There are actually some in Meck. Co., although I have not been able to get involved in any of these.

http://www.ncpiedmontorchid.org/

University City Garden Club

Southern Piedmont Horticultural Society

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Garden Girl, try to find somebody to help you organize one yourself! I know people from the Native Plant Society would come to talk for very little money, usually just mileage. Check the website for topics available. Also, the public universities usually have a requirement that the professors have to do a certain amount of "pro bono" type of work. Some times they will come if they don't live too far. The hardest part is finding a place to meet, such as the local library or other place that will not charge. Meeting in homes is fine at the beginning, but if your group takes off, you probably need another locale.

• hortusdave
    15 years ago

I have just moved back to Shelby after 30 years in the triangle as a landscape professional and would be interested in connecting with other gardeners in Cleveland Co.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

If we had something like that here, I would definitely attend. We do have the library but I can't think of anywhere else.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer