Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter vegetable garden

Posted by dogridge 7b nc (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 21:28

What are your favorite vegetables for growing through the winter?

What do you use to protect the crops?

What are you planting now? Seed or transplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter vegetable garden

I have planted 6 kinds of spinach, several kinds of lettuce, mizuna and other Asian greens, beets, cilantro, broccoli, snow peas, fava beans, radishes and Mesclun mixed greens. I intended to plant parsley, arugala, carrots and turnips, but did not find any seed that I liked. I use row cover/shade cloth laid over hoops of nine-gauge wire (from Lowe's) and add polyethylene plastic if the weather will drop much below 30 F.

o

Ralph, what criteria do you use for seeds?

dogridge, I have spinach, kale, india mustard, swiss chard, carrots, radishes, broccoli, snow peas, a couple lettuce, and leeks. A lot of these are experimental -- first year doing a winter garden -- but I suspect that if you're planting now, you would want to transplant and row cover... I might be wrong, but it feels like it's getting a bit late for seeds (except radishes, onions, leek type things) and might be slightly early for winter sowing.

o

Thanks guys.

I have lettuce, arugula, parsnips, radishes. Everything has germinated except for the parsnips, so I'm hoping with a cover I can get a little harvest.
I'm thinking of putting in some shallots, garlic and maybe snow peas. Will the snow peas do anything during the winter, or do you plant to get a head start on spring?
Do you think sowing leek seeds would work? I haven't seen any leek sets to use. How about brocoli transplants? Is it too late to put those in?

Thanks- this is my first winter garden. We just moved and created a new veggie garden and I am excited to get started.

o

I live in Raleigh and I currently have...

Carrots / Radishes / Broccoli / Spinach and and Lettuce in the ground. This is my last year of growing spinach and lettuce without a cold frame. They just take forever to grow on their own. Last year I grew Brussels sprouts also.

John...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here