Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdbheartsease

Thanks, John for another Wonderful Plant Swap

Judy Brown
9 years ago

John,

Thanks for hosting another wonderful Raleigh/Garner Plant Swap - Fall 2014. And thanks to the many gardeners for sharing their plants, their passion of gardening and their food. Looking forward to another swap in the Spring. Judy

PS - Camillalover - Please look at my trade list. Let me know what you're interested in for the Spring Swap or if you're in Winston-Salem, feel free to stop by and we'll dig something out of the garden.

Comments (11)

• tamelask
    9 years ago

yes! thanks much john!! as always a smash hit! :)

• sabji
    9 years ago

Yes!! IT was fun!! perfect weather and like minded friends getting together and having fun giving away plants (prized possessions indeed). How can we forget the wonder food?

I still have plenty of the thornless Black berry cuttings if any one needs them and are close enough to pick em up. Email me. Thanks to all who gifted, swapped and traded. I got some wonderful plants.
    I hope to be more organized in spring ( pray for the weather folks).
    I also hope to see more of the Asian, oriental, Indian and other exotic vegetables growing folks in the swap.

Thanks again to everyone!! Wish you all for good times ahead with the booty!!! :-))

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

One of the newbies cornered me near the food (why am I always near the food???) and asked about the organization of the event. I explained that we had been doing this thing for so long it kind of ran itself. More of a party for gardeners than a hard core exchange. It only works because of the crowd of people that jump in and keep things lively (well, laughing at my silliness doesn't hurt either!)

We keep things simple for a reason. You just have to make room for the chaos. So glad everyone made it. Thankful for the gorgeous weather also.

I will see everyone again in the Spring.

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

I really need to try to make it to one of these swaps. Can someone remind me when the next one is scheduled? How many went to the swap this fall?

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ferroplasm - Yes, if you get a chance, you should try to come to a future swap. Next one should be in April/May 2015, but it's really up to trianglejohn, he's the host. There were probably 15 - 20 traders with attendance up to about 50 which included other family members/friends being there. It's a great swap!!! I come from Winston-Salem and it's definitely worth the drive.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

John, it may run itself (mostly) but without you, it would not be the same!

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

countrygirl - without me there who would eat all that food!

Thanks everyone for coming. Thanks everyone for giving me credit. The truth is that way back in 2000 when I first moved here I stumbled upon GardenWeb and found a post in another forum about hosting a plant swap and loved the simplicity of its "structure". So none of this is really my idea - somebody else came up with the style of it and I just copied it. And I'm sooooo glad I did.

The dates and times are at the whim of the Garner Parks Dept. There is a limit as to how far in advance you can reserve a shelter so when it gets close to mid February I will start checking their calendar and find a Saturday with the Pine Shelter available in the afternoon, sometime in late April or early May. I also pay attention to what kind of winter we are having and whether early or late would be best. So far we have lucked out and never really bad weather - most often we've had nice afternoons to do this.

• ferroplasm Zone 7b
    9 years ago

Twice a year I read how much fun attendees have and curse myself for not going. I think I'll finally have a decent selection of plants to bring and share with you all in the spring. Is it plants only, or can we bring seeds, tools, etc?

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

A newbie at the arboretum distribution was asking questions. What is our group's name? How much is the entrance fee? I said we have no official name and it's free! Just a bunch of gardeners who get together to talk and eat and maybe also share some plants. I'm so glad I am a part of this group now. even though it is a long drive, it is totally worth it to see everyone. I used to also be envious when I read the posts. What a great group of people!

• brenda_near_eno
    9 years ago

You're the best, John, and the heart of this unique and long-lasting community event. Bravo!