Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

What trees are showing the best Fall Color this year?

jqpublic
15 years ago

Last year I definitely saw brilliant color from the Sweet Gums. The maples are always great.

This year the Black Gums are spectacular. A ruby red...and some with a tinge of orange. I wish I had a stately Black gum!

Comments (8)

• ncdirtdigger
    15 years ago

My fringe tree is always the first to turn a golden yellow (it always the last to leaf out in the spring too) and the cherokee chief dogwoods are a beautiful burgandy, while the cherokee brave is a softer orange. The fothergilla is starting to make its transformation with our cold front having moved through last night. and not to forget the beech trees are turning golden.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope the winds subside enough for the colors to stay on the trees a little longer. Great fall weather this week!

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Besides dogwoods, I have noted good color this year on sassafras trees and my wild blueberries. The cultivated ones are usually great, too, but they just haven't turned quite yet. Many viburnams have good color. And, I have noticed this year that one of the crepe myrtles is a fantastic red as are some abelias. I don't remember that from earlier years.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Its really starting to kick it into gear now. The rare Sugar Maples are changing on their upper halves...The tulip poplars are about 1/2 yellow. I'm disappointed in the sweet gums though. I can't express how great they were last year...yellows, reds, oranges, purples and everything in btw!

• amyflora
    15 years ago

My Witch Hazel has been lovely, and I am again stunned by the vibrant red of poison ivy in the tree across the street. Have to remember that when I am cursing it next spring, itching and hateful!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

It is a gorgeous year for maples, and I'm impressed by the long show the dogwoods are putting on. They've been deep red for over two weeks now (especially those in mostly sun). Some of the crape myrtles I've seen have been especially beautiful too. It's a joy just to walk in the woods or even drive around!

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sigh...had a really gorgeous shagbark hickory in the neighborhood earlier last week. It was pure golden yellow and the sun shining through the canopy was great! Too bad its past peak now :(

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I've noticed that at least in my yard there's been very little red and orange this year. Even my Japanese maples which normally flame are a yellowy orange with some red highlights rather than being solid red. There is one nice dogwood in the shade that's directly out my office window that is coloring very late and rather than the typical purply red it's a bright orange, so it's a very welcome sight! That said, all of the yellows have lit up our backyard. It was so pretty the other morning after it stopped raining and the sun came out and made the leaves shimmer and sparkle with all the raindrops. Driving into town the other morning against the deep blue skies, the colors were breathtaking. I love the fall colors.