Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricky_nc

Where can I get vermiculite?

Tricky_NC
18 years ago

I am looking to try my hand at bulb propagation this fall. I have been trying to find vermiculite at a few garden centers and nurseries to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find it? I live in south Charlotte in case anyone knows of a place nearby as well.

Comments (20)

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Lowes has it next to perlite but in very small bags, I believe.

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

our southern states co-op has it.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    18 years ago

Home Depot too, but again ..in very small bags. Try Kings in Stallings or Youngs off 521 just over the line in SC.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    18 years ago

Tricky, congrats on your 'Yard of the Month' award.
    I went the cheaper route with bulbs and bought them at Big Lots (Matthews) for the past few years. They seem to be just as reliable as the more expensive garden center stock although the varieties are somewhat limited.

• fedup321
    18 years ago

try a local swimming pool dealer, they would have large bags at a decent price...

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

fedup, i never thought of that ... good idea!
    the little bags are ridiculous.
    marsha

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Feed dealers often have large bags of it. Don't know why. It's cheap.

• Datawgal
    18 years ago

The vermiculite I can get from my feed store, Lowe's & HD is very finely ground; I use it for seeds but for cuttings and some things I want a coarser grade. I found that packaging supply places carry the coarser vermiculite. One source I have found is www.uline.com

• mgmcarolina
    13 years ago

We are in Southeast Charlotte and use vermiculite in our property mgmt business. We have extra now. Just call 704.618.1413 or mgmcarolina@earthlink.net. We have 4 cubic ft. bags for $20 ea./ 3 for $50 / 5 or more at $15 a piece (tax included)

• mgmcarolina
    13 years ago

I use a lot of it personally. Vermiculite is a one time additive (stays in the soil and does not get used up) that greatly reduces soil compaction and retains moisture. This is a big problem in this area as we are stuck with clumpy, clay soils that plants don't do well in. I'd be happy to show you the gardening use "in action" as I use a fair quantity of it ourselves in our gardens. The wonderful thing about gardening with it is that it does not get used up and stays in the soil year after year making a wonderful growing soil for plants that is oh so easy to work with. I live near the Chestnut Lane and Potters Road intersection in Indian Trail, NC just below Matthews. I may have extra too if anyone has trouble finding it. It is in really big 4 cubic ft. bags. Call if you want at 704.618.1413

• jbarutis
    13 years ago

We bought some at U-Line online. It was a large quantity, but it doesn't seem to spoil.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I know one of our little independent hardware stores here in garner sells huge bags (4 cu ft, i think- about 2'x 4' tall bags). I use it for seed starting but it's also really useful for hyper tufa. Coors in smithfield carries it, too. My point is, it's worth checking the oddball places. Sometimes your mom & pop type places can & will order for you, too. No, it never goes bad. As far as i know, no soil building type stuff does. Something like compost or pinebark fines might rot down some but they'd still be useful.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Oddly enough I found it offered today in a shipping supply catalogue. ULINE out of Atlanta has it in four grades from superfine to coarse and you have to buy in volume so, for instance coarse comes in a 4cu ft bag and you have to buy a minimum of 2 bags at $31. a bag.

Never occurred to me this is used for packing bottled liquids.
    So, there's another source for you all.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

Feed and seed stores. Big bags.

Get it from a southeastern source (SC and NC produce large amounts) because southeastern vermiculite tends to have little asbestous problem, unlike some western sources I have read.

The feed and seed store I go too has both finer and coarser grades.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

If you want to make a road trip, contact Patterson Vermiculite in Enoree, SC. I'm only 15 miles away. I bought a pickup truck load from them 10 years ago for $20! I'm still using it!

• Lynda Waldrep
    12 years ago

Never had trouble finding it, but I wanted to comment about my seed saving experience with it. In Nov. I put some Viburnum nudum seeds in a small bag with slightly moist vermiculite...forgot about it. Yesterday I found they had sprouted. I think I will consider using this product more for my "sow right away" type of seeds!

• Mark74
    12 years ago

We are just Southeast of Charlotte and carry vermiculite, mostly for our own use. We have agricultural grade vermiculite in huge 4 cubic ft. bags. Prices are $20 for one bag; 3 for $50; 5 or more are $15 each. This is the right stuff as promoted in the "SQUARE FOOT GARDENING" books and is ideal for RAISED BED GARDENING. Vermiculite is a one time additive (stays in the soil and does not get used up) that greatly reduces soil compaction and retains moisture. This is a big problem in this area as we are stuck with clumpy, clay soils that plants don't do well in. The absolute best soils are 1/3rd Vermiculite, 1/3rd Peat Moss, and 1/3rd high quality compost. The best way to explain it is small shavings of stone that are light weight. We'd be happy to show you the gardening use "in action" as we use a fair quantity of it ourselves in our gardens. The wonderful thing about gardening with it is that it does not get used up and stays in the soil year after year making a wonderful growing soil for plants that is oh so easy to work with! Call or text Mark at 704.618.1413 to arrange pick up. We are located near the Chestnut Lane and Potters Road intersection in Indian Trail, NC just below Matthews.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

By chance,Mark, would you be Pine Lake?
    If so, I can attest these folks have really good trees.

• rootdiggernc
    12 years ago

Sounds like a road trip! :)

• happytoad
    12 years ago

Pike's nursery off 485 on Johnston has large bags of vermiculite.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!