Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carolina Jessamine

Posted by gardenscents 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 10:10

I started a Carolina Fence garden last spring and planted 4 good size Carolina Jessamine plants to grow over the fence. They bloomed in the spring (I bought them in bloom) and then all 4 bloomed again in the fall (early October) and they are still blooming! Covered with yellow flowers and no sign of stopping (still buds on the plants). I'm assuming with a freeze they'll stop blooming, but I thought they only bloomed in spring....does this mean they won't bloom in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina Jessamine

I've seen them bloom anytime the temps were above freezing. They should still do a big bloom in the spring.

o

I know this is a late reply, but I also know many more people peruse the posts than their original authors, and all information is relevant to someone at sometime. =)
That being the case, I have seen the repeat blooming variety of Carolina jessamine, called 'Jasmine Duet' and/or 'Bloomin' Agin' at the local big box stores. Perhaps you bought one of those and forgot? I know the natives are capable, but for all to be 'covered' in blooms this late in the season suggests to me that they are the cross of swamp and Carolina jessamines named above. Check it out.
---Keith

o

It sounds like you have swamp jessamine (Gelsemium rankinii) which will bloom in both spring and fall.

o

And guess what! Still blooming (3 of them with loads of buds) and it's December 16! But then I also have a clematis blooming, though we've had lows of 27 a few nights. I'll just enjoy them....

o

i know this is an old post, but i just wanted to share :) my jess bloomed ALL YEAR this year! i know we had a moderate winter and all, but i was amazed! (zone 7b) mine usually blooms in spring, then again in fall. for christmas this year i made wreathes out of the vines (w/ the gorgeous flowers). it is covered in blooms now.... as well as has reached the window of the 2nd story window.... time to prune, which i've been putting off for years b/c it is just so pretty!
i took some cuttings yesterday and am attempting to root them to have grow over our pergola.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here