Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6'-8' evergreen screen hedge

Posted by lovemyshovel z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 11:03

Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking hollies but I don't know which ones would be best suited for a hedge that size. What are some other good evergreen plants for a 6-8' screen/hedge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6'-8' evergreen screen hedge

Sun or shade? Wet or dry? Protected spot or open, windy?

Many holly varieties -- Burford, Japanese, some of the Blue hollies, Steeds, etc.

Camellias - especially sasanquas

Osmanthus species

Prunus laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis'

Prunus lusitanica

Japanese ligustrum (will need pruning though)

Euonymus japonica -- many varieties, nice variegated ones too.

Yew - deer don't seem to like them.

Photinia - up north they aren't as plagued by disease, though they can die back in cold.

Boxwoods - slow growing

Pyracantha - impenetrable

Wintergreen barberry - impenetrable

Eleagnus pungens - takes a lot of maintenance

Arborvitae and junipers (yuck)

Florida anise

larger Rhododendrons and Pieris

Evergreen viburnums (pragense, and others)

Daphniphyllum (rare)

Southern Wax myrtles

Aucuba (take time to get large)

o

How much sun is really the key. In addition to the great list above, loropetalum is a good choice sometimes overlooked as an evergreen (or everpurple, really). Haven't grown it myself in NC, but it was great in FL.

o

And there are green-leaved Loropetalums as well - a nice one is 'Carolina Moonlight', with creamy white flowers spring and fall....

Tea Olives are another nice evergreen, as is Banana Shrub/Michelia figo, or Florida Leucothoe.

If you don't want all of a kind, then a few deciduous things in the areas that need the least blocking might be good - Knock Out roses, red or yellow-twig dogwoods, clethra, calycanthus, forsythias, etc., etc..

o

Lots of great ideas. I'm a sucker for the gold threadleaf false cypress "chamaecyparis pisifera." They're about the right size and have medium-fast growth, but need at least 6 hrs a day sun. I read recently that there is a new silver/blue variety out this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here