Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knock out roses

Posted by jeeper z7 nc (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 11:30

I got 8 back in late spring and they set all summer and bloomed in pots great. The ? is it to late to put them in the ground now. I know we will have warm and cold days up till jan. anyway.

thanks jeeper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knock out roses

They are probably going to be happier in the ground than pots now anyhow. Fall is the best time to plant most things. While the tops are mostly dormant, because our soil rarely freezes, the roots continue to grow even in cold weather, which gives them an awesome head start on the next big growing season. Plus, in pots, the roots are much more likely to freeze- they are insulated in the ground.

o

thank you tamelask I thought they would be , just checking.
thanks alot

jeeper

o

Yes, I agree with Tammy that this is the absolute best time to plant/transplant trees/shrubs. I just wanted to point out that I have had 3 tree form knockouts for at least 5 years that I keep in their pots. I do keep them in a super protected area and they do fine in the spring after I hard prune them. These babies are indestructible.

o

Pup- did you train them as standards or did they come that way? Are any of the knock outs fragrant? So far i only grow old fashioned types, but may try a ko in the backyard for color now that i'm starting on it. Fragrance would be an awesome bonus!

I keep quite a few things in pots over the winter but do try to protect them somewhat (my pot ghetto is out of hand!). And, i have lost stuff that would have been hardy in the ground.

o

I have a yellow knockout that is somewhat fragrant. It's certainly not like some heirlooms, but it has more scent than the pink variety I have.

o

Thanks, token for the answer. I didn't realize the ko's came in yellow. I don't have any yellow roses, so maybe i'll consider that.

o

Yellow knockouts are hard to find around here. I didn't know they came in yellow either until I stopped at a nursery on the way back from Delaware. I spent way too much money on way too many things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here