Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloomin' Iris

Posted by puppyscruff 7/NC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 11:42

To my surprise and delight I have an iris in bloom. It's called "Autumn Tryst," a Lowes plant that is still in its original pot. It sometimes takes me 7-8 months to get things in the ground when I can't decide on the ideal site or don't have one.

Although the tag did not indicate as much, it is a variety that often blooms near frost time.

Does anyone else have a variety that blooms this late?

Also, are there any daylilies that are truly fall blooming? I have one from Niche that is supposed to be, but it blooms in early August, which is probably "fall" on a Yankee timetable.

claire in sanford

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloomin' Iris

I have a reblooming tall bearded called Hemstitched that started blooming again in October and still has one stalk that has not popped open yet.
Iris Hemstiched and Echinacea Prima Donna

o

lovely! I don't have any fall or rebloomers, but that is something to look for- they are such a nice surprise this time of year!

o

LOL at claire who only takes 7-8 months to decide where to plant something. I got you beat by about 5 years,LOL

I've never seen an iris blooming this time of year , how absolutely lovely.

o

Let me try to post a picture in a day or so. I'm i.t. challenged beyond belief...just not that interested until I need to actually do something.

Your "Hemstitched" is lovely in name and in bloom...where did you get it? Now that I have "Autumn Tryst," I think I will try to do it up in a container with other rebloomers, since my luck with iris in the ground is not great no matter where I put them.

Dottie, you must have plants setting down roots into the ground right through the pots, unless your plant ghetto is on pavement. Today is my absolute deadline. EVERYTHING must go into the ground or get healed in (pitcher plant) somehow, unless it's home is a container.

Oh, the fragrance of iris in November! There IS a god!

o

The only iris I will buy anymore are rebloomers. If you want a near white rebloomer, Immortality is the best. I will rebloom reliably. It is early Dec and I have blooms on mine now. go to nichollsgardens.com and see all the great rebloomers they have

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicollsgardens reblooming iris

o

My Immortality was blooming a couple of days ago. I must check it when I go home today. Denise in Chapel Hill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here