Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you like your 'mums' cushion or sprawling?

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 14:34

I always seem to begin with a cushion of continuously pinched back mums for a spot of color and wind up with
a sprawling profusion of color the next year when I fail
to attend to 'pinching back'.
Honestly, if I give them some support then a mum can grow
to rather huge diameter and height putting color over a
much larger area.
Starting a new garden, last year's Tgiving centerpiece (a qt. of stunning crimson and yellow striped blossoms)was set (I didn't say 'planted'!) among other plants I hadn't
decided where to site permanently.

As is typical for me, the mum rooted into the soil in the middle of the new veg. garden.
Too busy picking tomatoes,peppers and eggplant, I failed to attend to the pinching of the mum.
Now, when all else there is past season, this mum fills a
huge area with really stunning color.

I think I like the sprawl better than the cushion because the bloom is longer, the stalks allowed to set sideshoots with later buds. It did open buds later than the cushioned
ones but now is when I wanted that color..not October.

I hesitate to move it or to actually dig it and properly replant it same place because it seems so happy and prolific rooted out the holes of the pot on the top of the ground.
(I know..that's my excuse and I'm stickin' with it)

and..since I found two more this week on sale,past peak bloom, I'm going to treat them similarly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you like your 'mums' cushion or sprawling?

Dottie,
I like both. The mums I have now are small and cushiony but my neighbor down the street has both and they are gorgeous!
I would just leave the mums alone where you have them. LOL! if it aien't broken...
I love mums. They are truly a wonderful plant.
I need the flowers of mums this late, makes me feel good.

o

I like the sprawl. They look like big, colorful daisies,and I have golden rod mixed in with them, so the heighth works. Oh, I also have asters in that group. Most are still blooming.

Next June I plan on taking cuttings of the mums and asters to create more. That area has been colorful and a welcome site this fall. One aster in particular is still in full bloom. Love the fall colors!

o

i'm not crazy about mums, but i think it's mostly b/c i don't like the cushion thing. When grown in the garden unpruned, they are ok. I prefer the singles or quilled ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here