Same Iris with Echineacea 'Prima Donna' in a vase

{{gwi:589702}}

Pink Verbena

{{gwi:590005}}

Light Pink Cosmos'

{{gwi:590006}}

Dark Pink Cosmos

{{gwi:590007}}

and this glorious bunch of flowers, which includes Salvia greggii, two different Zinnias, Snapdragon, and an annual Phlox

{{gwi:590008}}

Comments (8)

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Your Cosmos are pretty and I love that last bouquet. Frost has pretty much nipped most of my blooms. I'm gonna have to try to grow some annual phlox sometime. It brings back good childhood memories from Gramdma's house.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

I keep meaning to plant zinnias again, the really tall ones. I love them as flowers for cutting. Lots still in bloom here, too: salvias (puberala, involucrata, mexicana, van houtteii and various colored seedlings, greggiis, caudata, anthony parker, elegans, guaranitica, melissodoroa, etc), chrysanthemums, tinantia, roses, anemones, ligularia, camellia, cyclamen, mandevilla, brugmansia, plectranthus, echeandia, abutilon, and even one late but very fragrant Hedychium coronarium. I'm at the top of a hill so I'm typically spared the early frosts. Makes up a little for the extra wind we get when winter hits in force.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Very pretty!

My white butterfly ginger is still blooming like crazy (up against east side of house! Encore azaleas, Knockout roses, salvia greggii are going strong.

Cameron

• transplanted2scin07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shari, It's my first time growing an annual phlox. This one is a gorgeous salmony-pink color. I'm going to try to save seed if I can. If so, I'll email you.
    Karen, wow, I can't believe that many different Salvias are still blooming. One of these days I think I should try a garden of just Salvia. I'll bet I get constant blooms thru all the seasons if I use enough different varieties. I'm not familiar with Tanantia - I had to look it up. It sort of looks like Spiderwort/Tradescantia. Pretty.
    Cameron, are your white gingers easy plants to grow and overwinter? I'm not familiar with their growing requirements but I have seen them and they have a sort of exotic look to them.

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

Those are BEAUTIFUL! I was just at a friend's house to plant a Tangerine Beauty Cross Vine (Bignonia capreolata) I bought for her 3 weeks ago at our semi-annual plant sale at Hatcher Garden, and after I got it firmly in the ground next to her fence notice she, too, still has some iris blooming alongside the East side of her house.

I've had Rosemary blooming early for a month or more (usually blooms in January). Also planted her a winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) I also got at the Spartanburg Men's Garden Club concurrent sale and IT had a couple blooms on IT, too (it's ALSO not supposed to bloom until January).

If you plant carefully, in this part of the world, you can have blooms year-round!

Happy Gardening!
    Jeff

• DYH
    15 years ago

Yes, my white gingers are easy to overwinter. I just cut them to the ground when they look bad (not yet), then mulch over the top. In the spring when I first see shoots, I cut off 8" sections to put in other parts of the garden.

I forgot about my rosemary, too....it's been blooming for months.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Sandi -- I've now gotten TEN copies of the same email message from you in my personal email account. You may want to login/off of your email to fix it...at least I think that would stop it. I'll login/off of mine in case it's my receiving problem rather than your sending problem.

Cameron

• DYH
    15 years ago

Sandi -- after a dozen emails it all stopped. Very strange to get duplicates like that...a cat walking on the keyboard? :-)